* Re: [9fans] Morning Quickies: nontechnical]
@ 2000-06-14 16:23 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-14 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Finally, is there a way to shut down the system
	gracefully and reboot from the commandline?

If you're booted from a file server, type
^P at a cpu server console, or echo reboot >/dev/reboot.
If not, you need to halt the disks first:
If you're standing at the machine, type
disk/kfscmd halt and then reset the machine.
If you want to do everything remotely,
I believe the following will suffice (I haven't
tried it recently, but it worked four years ago).

Russ

#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>

void
main(void)
{
	int fd;
	Waitmsg w;

	fd = open("/dev/reboot", OWRITE);
	if(fd < 0)
		sysfatal("open: %r");

	switch(fork()) {
	case -1:
		sysfatal("fork: %r");
	case 0:
		execl("/bin/disk/kfscmd", "disk/kfscmd", "halt", nil);
		break;
	default:
		wait(&w);
		break;
	}

	fprint(fd, "reboot");
}

* Re: [9fans] Morning Quickies: nontechnical]
@ 2000-06-15  7:35 Bernd Kuehl
From: Bernd Kuehl @ 2000-06-15  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >>(O'Reilly & Assoc. "Plan 9 in a Nutshell"?)
>
> i believe there is a book in German about the old version.

Yes. See http://www.hanser.de/buch/1999/3-446-18881-9.htm or
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3446188819/qid%3D922693809/sr%3D1-3/028-2724540-1793306
for more information about the german book.

B. Kuehl

* Re: [9fans] Morning Quickies: nontechnical]
@ 2000-06-14 17:42 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-06-14 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-06-14 16:11 ` Andrey Mirtchovski
From: Andrey Mirtchovski @ 2000-06-14 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"James G. Stallings II" wrote:

>  John Carmack called Plan 9 "achingly beautiful". I tend to agree; in
> spite of it's almost harsh austerity in certain places, there is so much
> about it that is just "Right" as to make it irresistable. Who the hell
> is John Carmack anyway? His name sounds very familiar.

The chief of IDsoftware, the creator of Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake series.
He's been known to be a genius in his field (graphics), at least among
gamers...

Anyway.. my $0.02

* [9fans] Morning Quickies: nontechnical]
@ 2000-06-14 15:47 James G. Stallings II
From: James G. Stallings II @ 2000-06-14 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1030 bytes --]

From: "James G. Stallings II" <alteridentity@yahoo.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.com
Subject: Morning Quickies: nontechnical
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:54:10 -0500

Greetings, Plan 9ers.

I'm wondering: what's the lieterature base for Plan 9 like? are there
any really good books out there yet?
(O'Reilly & Assoc. "Plan 9 in a Nutshell"?)

John Carmack called Plan 9 "achingly beautiful". I tend to agree; in
spite of it's almost harsh austerity in certain places, there is so much
about it that is just "Right" as to make it irresistable. Who the hell
is John Carmack anyway? His name sounds very familiar.

Finally, is there a way to shut down the system gracefully and reboot
from the commandline?

(Hadda sneak that last one in on ya).

Good Day!
James