* Re: [9fans] keyboard mappings
@ 2000-06-20 13:05 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-06-20 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My mistake.  It had a bug that survived our old version of malloc
but m=not our new one and I hadn't compiled it since.  One line
change.  In emalloc(), change malloc(n) to mallocz(n, 1).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2583 bytes --]

From: Hiroki Tamakoshi <hiroki-t@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] keyboard mappings
Date: 20 Jun 2000 12:57:11 +0900

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com writes:

> (http|ftp)://plan9.bell-labs.com/who/presotto/kbdmap.c
>
> maps keyboard characters.  It has to be started before rio.

Please show me the correct usage of kbdmap.
I compiled kbdmap.c to kbdmap, put in my home directory.
Then inserted
        kbdmap
before
        exec rio
in lib/profile($service = terminal).

I rebooted the system and login, which cause trouble on rio.
Rio cannot open the display. Here is the error messages.

rio: can't open dislplay: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: file already open for I/O
init: rc exit status: rio 10: rio 64: display open

* Re: [9fans] keyboard mappings
@ 2000-06-20 15:14 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-20 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  it appears to me that the ALT sequences are hardcoded
  into kbd.c; thus, if you want to map the keyboard to, say,

hardcoded, yes.  in kbd.c, no!
they're in /lib/keyboard, where they belong.

* Re: [9fans] keyboard mappings
@ 2000-06-20  3:57 ` Hiroki Tamakoshi
From: Hiroki Tamakoshi @ 2000-06-20  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com writes:

> (http|ftp)://plan9.bell-labs.com/who/presotto/kbdmap.c
>
> maps keyboard characters.  It has to be started before rio.

Please show me the correct usage of kbdmap.
I compiled kbdmap.c to kbdmap, put in my home directory.
Then inserted
        kbdmap
before
        exec rio
in lib/profile($service = terminal).

I rebooted the system and login, which cause trouble on rio.
Rio cannot open the display. Here is the error messages.

rio: can't open dislplay: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: file already open for I/O
init: rc exit status: rio 10: rio 64: display open

* [9fans] keyboard mappings
@ 2000-06-19 19:32 mike
From: mike @ 2000-06-19 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it appears to me that the ALT sequences are hardcoded
into kbd.c; thus, if you want to map the keyboard to, say,
dvorak, you must modify the kernel or else type very
strange ALT sequences.  does forsyth's device also consider
this (in the misnamed latin1.[ch]).  also, it would be nice
to add ALT strings on the fly.

say, anyone have an APL font out there?  plus a nice set of
ALT maps, and boy what fun.

* [9fans] keyboard mappings
@ 2000-06-19 15:41 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-06-19 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

(http|ftp)://plan9.bell-labs.com/who/presotto/kbdmap.c

maps keyboard characters.  It has to be started before rio.
To set up mappings, write to /dev/kbdmap.  The input
consists of pairs of characters

<from> <to>

Both <from> and <to> are the hex unicode values of the characters
you want to map.  Anytime <from> is read from the keyboard, it is
mapped to <to>.  You can put any number of pairs on a line.
The string

flush

makes kbdmap forget all mappings.

For example writing:

20 21

will change all spaces into exclamations.  Try to get anything done
after that.