* Re: [9fans] K6-II/III on Slot7 or Super7 OK?
@ 2000-07-06  9:30 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-07-06  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9

>i also use K6-2 in file servers, but there you'll need to update /sys/src/fs/yourclonename/^(8253.c l.s)
>to include the terminal/cpu clock initialisation code and cpu id detection, to get
>the right processor type and delay timing.  (i can provide the source until jmk has finished
>his file server revamp.)

This recalled my somewhat tired and obscured barin...
My new file server is in this state, however, she is working just
fine yet. ☺

By the way, Charles, you seem to be very busy.  Do you have any plan
to update rin for release 3?

kenji

* Re: [9fans] K6-II/III on Slot7 or Super7 OK?
@ 2000-07-06  7:42 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-07-06  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i use K6-2 and K6-3 processors as terminals, exclusively, both at home and at work.
i mainly use TMC motherboards, but i have several Gigabyte, and ASUS should be fine.
one thing to watch is that if you get AGP you should ensure an AGP slot,  not a graphics processor in
the chip set.  you can then select an AGP card that's supported, using a chipset
with available documentation.  i was careless recently and got a board with a Via MVP4
and had a miserable time in PCI graphics land until i replaced the board.  originally i set
out to do an MVP4 driver even so -- it's got an AGP Trident Blade 3D on chip -- but the MVP4
turns out to be one that's not documented on line -- they just tease you with the spec and table of contents --
and Via hasn't replied to my web-form request for the real thing.
stuff it.  i replaced it.  i haven't got the time at the moment anyway.
the Via MVP3 and MVP3+ chipsets work well (for us).

if you do a lot of floating point work i've heard that AMD processors (except perhaps Athlon)
aren't as effective as Intel ones, but my number or graphics crunching is fairly modest, so i haven't noticed.

i also use K6-2 in file servers, but there you'll need to update /sys/src/fs/yourclonename/^(8253.c l.s)
to include the terminal/cpu clock initialisation code and cpu id detection, to get
the right processor type and delay timing.  (i can provide the source until jmk has finished
his file server revamp.)  file server configuration is generally fussier, until jmk ...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1965 bytes --]

From: Stephen Wynne <stevemw@mindspring.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] K6-II/III on Slot7 or Super7 OK?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:01:19 -0400

Would I have success running AMD K6-II or III processors with a Gigabyte GA5AX
(http://www.giga-byte.com/gigabyte-web/products/ga5ax4.htm), or an ASUS P5A-B
(http://www.asus.com.tw/products/motherboard/pentium/p5a%2Db/spec.html),
for example?

* [9fans] K6-II/III on Slot7 or Super7 OK?
@ 2000-07-06  5:01 Stephen Wynne