* [9fans] Stage Two Questions
@ 2000-07-11 16:28 Kevin McQuiggin
From: Kevin McQuiggin @ 2000-07-11 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Gang:

Well, I have Plan 9 installed and am on the way on my journey up the
learning curve. What fun!

I've made a user ID for myself, and have the network going. I got DNS
going last night. ssh is set up and I can use it to get into some other
Unix hosts. My machine is on the net.

So far so good.

I have some questions:

1. How do I set up authentication?

2. How do I set a password for myself or other users? "passwd" gives an
error message. This looks to be related to #1 above.

3. Do I have to set up an auth server, or can I use one somewhere else on
the net that's already set up?

4. Can I use cpu servers or apps elsewhere on the net? Any set of machines
that I can make my machine part of, to join the collective, so to speak!

5. The window system: I can't figure out how to copy and paste (excuse me,
"snarf") between windows. Two windows running sam for example, I can't cut
and paste text between them. Frustrating!

6. Any way to bring up an xterm or the equivalent that runs on my Plan 9
machine, on a MS Win or X box?

7. Conversely, can I bring up a window on my Plan 9 box that is running on
another Plan 9 machine somewhere else on the net? This is obviously
possible, I must need an account or something however. I need to read more
about networks in Plan 9 I suppose.

Thanks in advance, Plan 9 looks great!

Kevin

--
Kevin McQuiggin VE7ZD
mcquiggi@sfu.ca

* Re: [9fans] Stage Two Questions
@ 2000-07-11 16:51 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-07-11 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mcquiggi, 9fans

	1. How do I set up authentication?

There are a few words at the end of
plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/start.html.

	3. Do I have to set up an auth server, or can I use one somewhere else on
	the net that's already set up?

If someone wants to do that, you could
easily use it; I don't know of any.

	5. The window system: I can't figure out how to copy and paste (excuse me,
	"snarf") between windows. Two windows running sam for example, I can't cut
	and paste text between them. Frustrating!

Sam maintains its own snarf buffer.
Usually people run one sam with
multiple files open in that sam.
(See the B command.)  If you really
want to exchange between two sams,
you have to choose <rio> from the
middle-button menu in the source
(that will swap its snarf buffer with
rio's), and then go to the other sam
and do the same (that will swap it's
snarf buffer with rio's), and then you
can paste.  You might try acme too.

	6. Any way to bring up an xterm or the equivalent that runs on my Plan 9
	machine, on a MS Win or X box?

See drawterm(8).

Russ