* Re: [9fans] cpu server troubles (hostdomain)
@ 2000-07-14 11:44 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-07-14 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ftpfs is, unfortunately, a hack and always will be because there's no
defined format for the presentation of metadata in ftp.  If you point
me at an instance of an ftp server I can't crack correctly, I'll see if
I can fix it.  It worked with microsoft ftp servers we used to have but
it seems to break everytime someone rereleases one of those things.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3711 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <aam396@mail.usask.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] cpu server troubles (hostdomain)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:35:22 -0600

Hello,

I just tried to setup my single machine as a cpu server and hastily
disregarded to check the mailing list archive for any warnings...
Unfortunately I fell in the 'hostdomain trap' -- now whenever I try to
boot I get "boot: /hostdomain: illegal arg.." and panics. The fun stuff
is that I am not able to boot up using a floppy too, whenever I hit
return on the 'root is...: prompt the kernel panics.

My questions are:
    is there any easy way to recover from this? i.e. how would I access
the plan9.ini on sdC0 in order to change the kernel back to 9pcdisk? (I
was thinking of using a different OS to write to the nvram sector but
decided it's too much of a trouble and there must be an easier
solution).
    that failing, how should I setup the plan9.ini on the floppy in
order to choose the right kernel?

    (this I think has been asked already)
    start.ps wants me to 'choose a password for bootes'. does that mean
I need to 'set' the password for the particular user or does it mean I
need to set my mind on one, which will be set as soon as the cpu server
is up? if the former, how would I do that since neither passwd not
changeuser (which, I gather, should not be used before the auth server
is up and running) appear to work on the single-station setup?...

    The following is a separate issue:
    Ftpfs seems to have trouble accessing files on windows-based ftp
servers. Whenever I try to cp anything from U-serv or a-ftp (the two
windows servers I shamefully admit to have tried) I get an error message
indicating that I am accesing a directorywith the same name as the file.
ls -l does not mark entries as directories initially, but after I have
tried to read any one of them,  the 'd' appears in front of the 'ls'
output for the particular file. (oh, yes, I have been busy 'setting up'
auth servers left and right and had no time to look at the issue.
consider this a report, rather than a request for bugfixes)

sorry for bothering if the solutions are well known.a pointer to the man
pages would (should :) suffice.

stupidity is proportional to persistence  I guess.. :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] cpu server troubles (hostdomain)
@ 2000-07-14  3:59 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-07-14  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, aam396

Change the bootdisk= entry on the
floppy's plan9.ini to say sdC0!9fat!9pcdisk
or whatever it is.

As long as you boot a terminal (rather
than a cpu server), the nvram file doesn't matter.

	I need to 'set' the password for the particular user or does it mean I
	need to set my mind on one, which will be set as soon as the cpu server

Just think one up, since you'll need it twice
later on.  I amended start.*.

Russ

* [9fans] cpu server troubles (hostdomain)
@ 2000-07-14  3:35 andrey mirtchovski