* Re: [9fans] setup?
@ 2000-07-21 18:19 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-07-21 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	> to my knowledge, has done anything for nntp, although
	> it's a file system just itching to be written.

	hm.  would this be an appropriate project for someone new to the ``plan9
	way'' or is it probably too ambitious?

Go for it.  Have a look at 9p(2).  It might not be
not worth troubling yourself with the File's, or
might be.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] setup?
@ 2000-07-24  3:02 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-07-24  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>i'd be happy. the only use i have for a unix machine is as a place to
>read news.

I've been using Charles's rio and his hidden news server ☺ for
Plan 9. However, very few users would have been touching
the news system these days in our Univ.  As a matter of result,
our Univ. made net news distribution service not free (because
let its administration to out sourcing) with putting a free server
only for reading.

This may be a recent trend of news system in these days... Is this
the only case in our Univ.?

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1770 bytes --]

From: jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] setup?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:44:18 -0400

	hm.  would this be an appropriate project for someone new to the ``plan9
	way'' or is it probably too ambitious?
	(I have some experience with unix sockets, but I have not written any
	plan9 networking software; for that matter, s/networking //.)

i'd be happy. the only use i have for a unix machine is as a place to
read news.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] setup?
@ 2000-07-21 18:44 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-07-21 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-07-21 16:36   ` Andrey Mirtchovski
From: Andrey Mirtchovski @ 2000-07-21 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Colin DeVilbiss wrote:

> (I have some experience with unix sockets, but I have not written any
> plan9 networking software; for that matter, s/networking //.)

Oh, networking in plan9 is fun! It's mostly a matter of composing a string
to pass to dial() and after that it's all peachy and creamy. I have a
200-line irc client done in no time, which is now being slowly designed
into a filesystem so that it will *fit* plan9 better...

Sockets experience doesn't seem to matter much -- everything is nicely
'encapsulated' and the 'paradigms' are of a higher level.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] setup?
@ 2000-07-21 15:32 ` Colin DeVilbiss
From: Colin DeVilbiss @ 2000-07-21 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have patches to upas/fs that provide pop3 access.
> If you bug me, I'm happy to provide them.

consider yourself bugged. :)

--
Colin DeVilbiss
crdevilb@mtu.edu

* Re: [9fans] setup?
@ 2000-07-21 15:05 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-07-21 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  2) setting up client access for pop3 and nntp?  I checked the mail(1)
     manpage, but it didn't want to give up its secrets.  (that is, I have
     a remote pop3 account and would like to be able to download its
     messages to my PC while in plan9.)

I have patches to upas/fs that provide pop3 access.
If you bug me, I'm happy to provide them.  No one,
to my knowledge, has done anything for nntp, although
it's a file system just itching to be written.

I use my pop3 patches almost exclusively, to get around network
failures between me and my mail server.  They're not
in the system proper because they store your password
in a plain text file, which is not great.  I believe a
more general solution is planned.

Russ

* [9fans] setup?
@ 2000-07-21  1:19 Colin DeVilbiss
From: Colin DeVilbiss @ 2000-07-21  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

a few more early setup questions:

1) most importantly, are there any good FAQ-ish websites for plan9?
   (besides the canonical FAQ, that is?).  I would be happy not to
   clutter the list with questions if I already had the answers. :)

2) setting up client access for pop3 and nntp?  I checked the mail(1)
   manpage, but it didn't want to give up its secrets.  (that is, I have
   a remote pop3 account and would like to be able to download its
   messages to my PC while in plan9.)

3) people have remarked on the list about staying in plan9 all the time
   except when they need to access the web; besides the above and what
   is available in the distro, does anyone have helpful suggestions
   regarding things like outside software to download to make full-time
   plan9 use a reality?

answers to any of the above in the form of documentation pointers would
be as welcome as straight answers.

thanks in advance.

--
Colin DeVilbiss