* [9fans] after exiting from rc...
@ 2000-07-25  2:06 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-07-25  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After typed ^t^tr at terminals, I got no reboot but the following
messages, and the terminal itself is waiting something:

cpu1: exiting
cpu0: exiting
apshutdown: active = 0x00

This is different behaviour from release 2.

What does this mean?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] after exiting from rc...
@ 2000-07-25  4:21 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-07-25  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you very much, Jim.

>There is commented-out code in mpshutdown() (in pc/mp.c) to do a
>cold boot but the whole shutdown thing needs updated.

I tried this, and now the pc goes to cold-boot after ^t^tr keys.

@ 2000-07-25  2:33 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-07-25  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 From okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp:
	After typed ^t^tr at terminals, I got no reboot but the following
	messages, and the terminal itself is waiting something:

	cpu1: exiting
	cpu0: exiting
	apshutdown: active = 0x00

	This is different behaviour from release 2.

	What does this mean?

	Kenji

When an MP kernel shuts down it prints a message as each CPU is
disabled (a legacy from when they didn't always turn off properly...).
When enough time has passed for them all to have shut down, the
system should reset after printing the mask of still active CPUs
(in this case they all shut down). 'apshutdown' means 'Application
Processor shutdown'.

Why the system didn't then reboot I don't know. The shutdown code
could certainly be better, it tries to do a warm-reset which sometimes
fails due to activity from busmastering controllers for example.
There is commented-out code in mpshutdown() (in pc/mp.c) to do a
cold boot but the whole shutdown thing needs updated.

--jim