* Re: [9fans] dual CPU machine hungs?
@ 2000-07-28  2:58 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-07-28  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Kenji has an old Neptune chipset based motherboard, similar to
the one I used to write the MP code a long time ago (he has an
ASUS PCI/I-P54NP4D, I have a PCI/E-P54NP4D, now hanging on the
wall in my office). The Neptune chipset had a number of problems
with busmastering and various BIOS settings had to be used to
disable broken PCI/EISA features. But Kenji doesn't have any
busmastering devices.

The second problem with Pentium MP systems is matching the processor
steppings, there are some steppings which just won't do MP properly
and some which will only work when matched with another suitable CPU.
I've asked Kenji to try to check the steppings against the errata list
(unfortunately it means yanking the chip out of the socket to look
underneath for the stepping numbers).

The only time I've seen APIC errors was on flakey hardware. The
recovery code in the kernel may not be up to snuff as it hasn't been
exercised much, but you really should never get APIC errors.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] dual CPU machine hungs?
@ 2000-07-28  8:22 nigel
From: nigel @ 2000-07-28  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No, indeed, the dual Celeron mode is not supported officially by the accountants
at Intel.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4842 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 304 bytes --]

Hi Nigel,

I was wrong, I had several times of freeze experience
in THIS MONTH (not in half a month).
As I'm reading many sources of Plan 9 all the day long these days,
I forgot the right recognition of time. ☺

By the way, Abit BP6's dual Celeron is supportted officially, is it?

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2492 bytes --]

From: "Nigel Roles" <nigel@cotswold.demon.co.uk>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] dual CPU machine hungs?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:01:24 +0100

I see a message like

apicerror: ??

and then one of my processors stops working.

This is every few hours on an Abit BP6 with dual Celeron 466.

@ 2000-07-28  5:19 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-07-28  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Nigel,

I was wrong, I had several times of freeze experience
in THIS MONTH (not in half a month).
As I'm reading many sources of Plan 9 all the day long these days,
I forgot the right recognition of time. ☺

By the way, Abit BP6's dual Celeron is supportted officially, is it?

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2492 bytes --]

From: "Nigel Roles" <nigel@cotswold.demon.co.uk>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:01:24 +0100

@ 2000-07-28  2:13   ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2000-07-28  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
> and then one of my processors stops working.
> This is every few hours on an Abit BP6 with dual Celeron 466.
> > I've experienced several times of hungup of my dual Pentium 90
> > terminal in this half a month.  I cannot find any rules on this yet,
> > and this may be just a complain (sorry).  Have you ever similar
> > experience?  Have you find any systematics on this?
> > Kenji

hmm i hammered my old Tyan S1668 dual PPRO-150 with R3 with
no problems whatsoever.  it is not a terminal, however, but a cpuserver.
perhaps the difference lies there?

--eric

* Re: [9fans] dual CPU machine hungs?
@ 2000-07-27 11:01 ` Nigel Roles