* Re: [9fans] 'date' question
@ 2000-08-02 17:09 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-08-02 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

By the way, the -L flag in timesync is a real hack.  There's no way
to know when your 'other OS' decides to apply daylight savings time
(now there's an even bigger hack) so you have to run the other OS
often enough to make sure it gets done.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1612 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] 'date' question
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:48:29 -0400

> Should the hardware clock actually be set to GMT?

It's your call.  If you have an ntp server it
doesn't matter what it is set to -- timesync
will ignore it.  If you don't, then the default
setup assumes GMT, but timesync -L exists
solely to coexist with operating systems
that insist on local time.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] 'date' question
@ 2000-08-02 16:48 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-02 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-08-02  9:46 ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2000-08-02  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you have a fileserver, don't forget to fix that too. The console
displays local time. The timezone is hardwired to the east coast.

You can either adjust the local time to compensate, or change the
source. The former will work, but dumps then run at 10am in the
morning which can be a bit irritating.

> you might need to eliminate the use of the -L option to timesync(8)
> by termrc or cpurc if your hardware clock is GMT.

* Re: [9fans] 'date' question
@ 2000-08-02  9:09 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-08-02  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you might need to eliminate the use of the -L option to timesync(8)
by termrc or cpurc if your hardware clock is GMT.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1957 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: [9fans] 'date' question
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 08:32:38 GMT

My hardware clock is set to GMT, and Glenda's /env/timezone
indicates that the 'date' command should be printing EST or
EDT; however, glenda's 'date' prints "22:30:03 EDT 2000," when
PDT is, by my watch, 15:30:03. It looks as though EDT is 7 hours off!
If EDT were correct, I would expect it to be 18:30 when PDT is 15:30.
Should the hardware clock actually be set to GMT?

Later,

D. Brownlee

* Re: [9fans] 'date' question
@ 2000-08-02  8:54 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-02  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: D. Brownlee <ancipites@earthlink.net>

> Should the hardware clock actually be set to GMT?

i'm no expert, but it's pretty much a cardinal rule that
the h/w clock be set to gmt.  the again these PC h/w
clocks pretty much suck, so it could be an exception.

* [9fans] 'date' question
@ 2000-08-02  8:32 D. Brownlee