* [9fans] South African face
@ 2000-08-03 13:33 lucio
From: lucio @ 2000-08-03 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The South African flag changed subsequent to introduction of a new
Constitution in 1994 (I can't remember when the flag actually changed,
it was a bit later).

The Plan 9 faces have an oddly-coloured version of the old flag and it
would seem reasonable to bring that up to date :-)

If there are simple instructions on producing a "faces" image, I can
probably do it, the new SA flag is largely geometric, but a scanner -
which I don't have - may be a lot faster.

++L

* Re: [9fans] South African face
@ 2000-08-08 10:34 ` Martin Hurton
From: Martin Hurton @ 2000-08-08 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 03:33:14PM +0000, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

> The Plan 9 faces have an oddly-coloured version of the old flag and it
> would seem reasonable to bring that up to date :-)

I think, it would be quite reasonable to make the face database distributed as
namespace is (DNS). This would allow everyone to manage its own face image
and joined with digital signatures it could provide basis for identity
signatures.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Hurton <hurtonm@dcs.elf.stuba.sk>

* Re: [9fans] South African face
@ 2000-08-03 14:10 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-08-03 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	>If you can find a gif or jpg, you can convert it.

Flags of the World (www.fotw.net) is devoted to vexillology and has
lots of images.

* Re: [9fans] South African face
@ 2000-08-03 13:44 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-08-03 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If there are simple instructions on producing a "faces" image, I can
> probably do it, the new SA flag is largely geometric, but a scanner -
> which I don't have - may be a lot faster.

I actually don't know how the original set of flags were done. Someone,
maybe Bill Cheswick, grabbed them somewhere as 1-bit images.
Later, John Hobby, in a fit of creativity, noticed that each stipple
pattern represented a different color and processed them so they'd
look good on our color displays.  I've added a couple of flags by
grubbing on the net and then processing.  If you can find a gif
or jpg, you can convert it.  I have a resampler, based on the one
in the second edition, you can use to reduce the image, but it's
buggy so I didn't include it.  (The bugs were in the 2nd edition too
- it goes beyond the ends of arrays and produces black borders
or crashes.)  I'll get back to it one day.

-rob