* [9fans] Setup the fileserver
@ 2000-08-11  6:11 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2000-08-11  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

after a tip of Russ I copy the last lines from termrc to
cpurc and now the box come up in graphics mode. I must
starting rio by hand and I disabled the cron because the
log messages moving the display up but this maybe beginner
problems. Thanks a lot.

One thing confuse me. The CPU Server comes up and give me
a prompt without login or user authentification. I made a
"disk/kfscmd allow" and have all permissions. Will this
change if I have an fileserver installed and booting the
CPU Server via floppy and network? Are there manuals out
there for setup an fileserver?

Bis dann
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] Setup the fileserver
@ 2000-08-11  8:27 ` Stephen Wynne
From: Stephen Wynne @ 2000-08-11  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Teege, 9fans

> Are there manuals out there for setup an fileserver?

Guten Tag, Herr Teege.

Reading from "Starting up the file server" at
ftp://ftp.dbsystems.com/pub/plan9/install.html helped me
see the order of commands documented elsewhere.

I recommend reading Ken's "The Plan 9 File Server" paper
at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/fs/fs.html -- more
than once.

That refers you to the fsconfig(8) manual page at
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/8/fsconfig
and the more general fs(8) manual page at
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/8/fs

It helps to remember that there is nothing (as far as I know) on the
file server once you've booted. You need to mount a filesystem from it
to populate its /adm/users file, for example. You can create files and
directories from the fileserver's console.

You may want to use a serial console while you work: Set up plan9.ini
with these entries and connect to another system:

  console=0                             <== COMA on my plan9pc server.
  baud=38400

Both video/keyboard and serial input/output work now.

Once you've got something up, on a Plan 9 terminal do:

term% srv il!serverhostname		<== connect
term% mkdir /n/.partitionname		<== a place to mount the service.
term% mkdir /n/partitionname		<== a place to bind it.
term% bind -c /n/.partitionname /n/partitionname
term% cd /n/partitionname

Cat out /bin/9fs for examples.

Viel Gluck!