* Re: [9fans] cdfs
@ 2000-08-13 18:23 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-13 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Cdfs should work with any MMC2 compliant
drive, which is most drives being sold these
days.  They usually say whether they are on
the box/web page.  It would not be hard to
port any of the old pip drivers over to it, but
there hasn't been a need.

I'm quite happy with my writer, which is
either an HP 7100i or a Philips CDD3610.
(I suspect it is a Philips because it doesn't
say HP on it, but I'm not 100% sure; they're
the same drive.)  I've used it to read and write
data and audio CDs, and it work decently,
although I tend to get a couple pops per
CD when reading audio.

I know cdfs has been used on a number of
Yamaha drives with no problem, and they
have a good reputation.

I'm told that if you want to read audio
reliably at high speeds, the Plextor drives
are the way to go, but I've not used them.
The report came from a friend who was not
using cdfs, but he was encoding his entire ~2000
CD collection, and taking it very seriously,
so I trust the advice.

When I was looking to get a writer, I found
the CDR faq at www.fadden.com/cdrfaq
most helpful.

As for writing DVDs, I don't think it would
be hard to add (MMC2 covers them too), but
I'm under the impression that DVD writers are still
not really mainstream.  Lots of people were
talking about DVD-RW and DVD+RW a year
ago but I've seen nothing hit resellers yet.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] cdfs
@ 2000-08-14 21:48 pip
From: pip @ 2000-08-14 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm told that if you want to read audio
> reliably at high speeds, the Plextor drives
> are the way to go, but I've not used them.

Actually, the new TDK drives rock the socks off
the plextor drives. See http://www.velocd.tdk.com.
They have performance numbers from a study done
by ZDNN(?) pitting the TDK against HP and Plextor
drives. For ''ripping" CD's, TDK blew the others away.
-
pip

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2772 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] cdfs
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 14:23:41 -0400

@ 2000-08-14 21:34 pip
From: pip @ 2000-08-14 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Would anyone like to recommend cd writing hardware which they
> have found to work well with cdfs?

I routinely use a Philips CDD 3610 for data backups and to create
'archival copies' of audio CD's. It works real horrorshow with
cdfs. If you are running the July 17th (?) or earlier release, you might
have some trouble with long reads, this might be fixed in the latest
release.

> Alternatively (and preferably) will it be possible to write
> DVDs any time soon?
Not in answer of your question, but an independent rant...
... copying DVD's is prohibitively expensive : know of any
cheap(er) DVD-RAM drives ?
-
pip

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1732 bytes --]

From: miller@hamnavoe.demon.co.uk
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 15:24:34 0100

Would anyone like to recommend cd writing hardware which they
have found to work well with cdfs?

Alternatively (and preferably) will it be possible to write
DVDs any time soon?

-- Richard Miller

* Re: [9fans] cdfs
@ 2000-08-13 14:24 miller
From: miller @ 2000-08-13 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Would anyone like to recommend cd writing hardware which they
have found to work well with cdfs?

Alternatively (and preferably) will it be possible to write
DVDs any time soon?

-- Richard Miller

* [9fans] cdfs
@ 2000-08-10  7:02 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-08-10  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's so much better than the alternatives i've used.
thank you.

* [9fans] cdfs
@ 2000-06-24 21:59 narteh
From: narteh @ 2000-06-24 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

HI

I've been able to burn a data CD, and was trying my hands at burning an
audio CD. Burning itself went fine, but the step prior to that was a
a bit botched. After running cdfs, there are several files served in
/mnt/cd (axxx, ctl), but when copying them, cdfs does not end input
on file boundaries.

i.e.,
		cp /mnt/cd/a000 /tmp/the_clash/
will copy all of track a000, a001 ... into one file in /tmp/the_clash.
I fixed this to a certain degree with the following fix to
/sys/src/cmd/cdfs/mmc.c:

namaste% diff mmc.c mmc.c.orig
541,550d540
< 	/*	Trunc nblock modulo size of track	*/
< 	if((off+nblock) > o->track->end) {
< 		if ((nblock = o->track->end - off) == 0) {
< 			werrstr("end of track (%ld->%ld)", o->track->beg, o->track->end);
< 			if(vflag)
< 				fprint(2, "end of track (%ld->%ld)", o->track->beg, o->track->end);
< 			return -1;
< 		}
< 	}
<
589c579
< 	//fprint(2, "nblock = %ld\n", nblock);
---
> 	fprint(2, "nblock = %ld\n", nblock);
namaste%

The fix works real horrorshow. I just made an 'archival copy' of
a cd with it.
-
pip