* [9fans] OpenGL
@ 2000-08-21  7:44 Digby Tarvin
From: Digby Tarvin @ 2000-08-21  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am just in the process of choosing hardware for a new PC, on which I
would like to be able to boot Plan9/Inferno/FreeBSD/Linux.

Some of the software I wish to run on the latter specifies
	"3-D hardware accelerator with full OpenGL support"

Examples given are Matrox G200/G400 and all 3dfx chips.

Anyone know which, if any, of the chipsets listed as supported
for Plan9 satisfy this requirement? The Matrox cards seem to
be explicitly excluded.

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* Re: [9fans] OpenGL
@ 2000-08-21 14:51 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-21 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Neither the Matrox nor the 3DFX chips are particularly
well supported at the moment.  A few people have
mumbled on the list about getting the G400 working.

I've got a reimplementation of most of the graphics stuff
slated for this fall; one of my goals is broader, cleaner
card support.

The G200 and G400 are on my wish list and I have the
necessary hardware documentation but I don't have
easy access to either card, so no promises.  If someone
were interested in writing a driver, I'd be happy to
help him or her along.

I think the Rage 128 supports OpenGL in full, and
that's on the wish list too, probably before the Matrox
(I have access to a Rage 128).

Neither of those currently works though, so you
still have a problem for ``now''.  The Diamond Stealth III S540
(an S3 Savage4-based card) might have OpenGL, and if
it does is worth a shot.  We actually support that card
(I'm using one at the moment) unaccelerated, and
acceleration is high on my list.  It will be the first
card I work on.

Russ