* [9fans] install/boot disk problems
@ 2000-08-21  8:59 deadmonkey
From: deadmonkey @ 2000-08-21  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey,
After reading through past posts, the install guide and the errata i was
unable to find anyone having the same prob, hopefully some1 can shed
some light on this for me.

Machine is intel x86 celeron 366 / 64mb ram. 2 ide hdd's (primary 4g,
2ndry 400mb). ne2k pci nic, 4mb s3 trio3d agp video card.

Boots off the floppy ok untill reaching:

kfs...boot:nop...

stays there for a while, reading from the fdd and then i get something
along
the lines of:

bunzip2: Premature EOF

followd by some more bzip2 related errors and : panic : unknown
a lovely hexdump and ending with
Cpu-0: exit (or was it quit.. u get the picture anyway).

Initially I belived this 2 just be corrupted install media. So i tried
with a
new floppy. same thing, and another, same thing.
Any ideas or comments would help alot.

-Kraig.

* Re: [9fans] install/boot disk problems
@ 2000-08-21  9:36 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-08-21  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 08:59:52AM +0000, deadmonkey@hackfurby.com wrote:

> Boots off the floppy ok untill reaching:
>
> kfs...boot:nop...

There's been a recent discussion (not very conclusive) that Plan 9 may
not be sufficiently forgiving about the floppy medium.  I would
suggest trying a different floppy drive, maybe more than one.  Not
that floppy drives are particularly reliable these days...

++L

* [9fans] Re: install/boot disk problems
@ 2000-08-22  8:40 ` RockMover
From: RockMover @ 2000-08-22  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello!

deadmonkey@hackfurby.com wrote:

[...]

> Initially I belived this 2 just be corrupted install media. So i tried
> with a
> new floppy. same thing, and another, same thing.
> Any ideas or comments would help alot.

  I had the same problem, and what do you think helped me?
I have two floppy drives on my PC, 5.5" and 3.5" (3.5" being
drive A: in BIOS, i.e. I believe fd0), and when I detached 5" drive,
all went OK. If you only have one floppy drive, I think using an other
slot for floppy may help.

> -Kraig.

WBR,  RockMover
I am The Master of Flame...