* Re: [9fans] CD-ROMs
@ 2000-09-14  1:56 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-09-14  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >I'd love to know more about the kernel
> >crash, but you can send that to me or
> >to 9trouble rather than 9fans.  Acd should
> >not be crashing the kernel.
>
> Hmmm, Russ seems to be a bit tired with something.
> He may be too busy...

I wasn't trying to shoo away any bug reports
or discourage such reports from being posted
to 9fans.  It just seemed like it made more
sense to take the conversation offline -- I didn't
think the list would be interested in the actual
kernel panic output.

By all means keep reporting and discussing bugs.
Ignoring them won't make them go away.  I'm fairly
intrigued by this audio bug.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] CD-ROMs
@ 2000-09-14  4:27 lucio
From: lucio @ 2000-09-14  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hmmm, Russ seems to be a bit tired with something.  He may be
> too busy...

No, I think he has a point (as he points out himself).  If there's
further clarity, I'm sure it will be reported, and fixes posted, but
the list would find core dumps particularly boring.

While on the subject, I find this list very much a "community" rather
than a technical list and I happen to like it that way.  I'm not sure
the newsgroup is meant in the same fashion and I would not like to
advocate severing them, I have no sensible NetNews access.

But I am curious as to how others feel on this issue.  The nearest I
got to a list as casual as this, was alt.folklore.computers, which I
of course no longer have access to.

++L

* Re: [9fans] CD-ROMs
@ 2000-09-14  1:41 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-09-14  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I'd love to know more about the kernel
>crash, but you can send that to me or
>to 9trouble rather than 9fans.  Acd should
>not be crashing the kernel.

Hmmm, Russ seems to be a bit tired with something.
He may be too busy...

Lucio probably wrote it here, because he thought it might be
concerned to some other peoples using Plan 9.  Yes, I had a
similar experience with acd.   The circumstance seems to be
very resemble to Lucio's case.  I was not so serious on this point,
then, I did not report it.  It is still right now.  So, I have no good
positive information on this point other than below:

I'm using NE2000 compatible PCI card (KE360PCI), SoundBlaster
AWE32, ATAPI CDROM TEAC CD-532EK etc.

According to my understanding of Lucio's posts, he is contributing
to our community, I believe.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] CD-ROMs
@ 2000-09-13 14:10 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-09-13 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think you are thinking of juke(7).
My understanding of the way it is currently
rigged is that we just copied the CD images
onto the actual file system
(e.g. cp /dev/sdD0/data plan9.1995).
That's why we need 9660srv here.
It's a juke box "simulation" now.

I'd love to know more about the kernel
crash, but you can send that to me or
to 9trouble rather than 9fans.  Acd should
not be crashing the kernel.

Russ

* [9fans] CD-ROMs
@ 2000-09-13 13:02 lucio
From: lucio @ 2000-09-13 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm sure I saw reference somewhere in the 3ed documentation about
mounting a CD-ROM disk off the fileserver, interposing /srv/9660 to
get correct access.

Except that considerable experimentation on my part has failed to
concoct the right philter to make my 6-platter CD-ROM changer
digestible to the 3ed fileserver.

Do I need to understand the fileserver much better, or should I
consider hacking it to achieve this objective?  I have a whole lot of
SCSI CD-ROM drives I'd like attached to the Plan 9 network, and I'd
like the Plan 9 way to handle them (specially some sort of intelligent
cacheing, who knows what one can manage that way).

In passing, I crashed the kernel by (apparently) starting to play some
Grace Jones on Russ's "acd" before or close to the moment when the
freedb lookup failed.  Something about the tail missing somewhere.  Is
9trouble the best place to report that in detail?

++L