* [9fans] various, and, uh, HI!
@ 2000-09-22 19:19 Rick Hohensee
From: Rick Hohensee @ 2000-09-22 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I posted some stuff to the Usenet mirror, and I didn't see
a response. I now seem to be subscribed to the list, so,
Redundantly just for redundancy in a networked environment....

Who's using Plan9 in production?

Is "the dump" a complete revision control system?

I have written a boot sector for the x86 that may, I suspect,
allow use of BIOS drivers where expedient. In
        ftp://linux01.gwdg.de/pub/cLIeNUX/interim/
the curious will find Janet_Reno.tgz. That's the GNU as and
m4 source to a bootsector that enters protected mode
and sets up a wedge between the Interrupt Descriptor Table
and the int handlers. If you don't change the IDT entry for int X,
an int handler is called that switches to real mode. I don't know
if it will work with an AT BIOS, or to what extent, but it strongly
appears to be poking 32 bit thingies to the screen from "the main
thread" and 16 bit thingies from the int handler. I'm also told
that the a20 gate thing is not optional, and I didn't do that.
There's plenty of room left in the bootsector, however.

I also posted the Plan9 equivalent of a Linux "oops" to Usenet.
Register dump, etc. I can't replay that from memory, but I have
a listed ethernet card and video card in that box, so interested
parties might want to look at that. It seems Torvalds, Cox, et al
watch those things like hawks in l-k. And, AFAIK, I followed the
instructions to the letter on a hardware conformant box and my
problem is underneath the assumptions of the extant help. </nag>

Rick Hohensee
rick@logictree.com
r@cLIeNUX.com

* Re: [9fans] various, and, uh, HI!
@ 2000-09-23  1:43 ` Rick Hohensee
From: Rick Hohensee @ 2000-09-23  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 	Is "the dump" a complete revision control system?
>
> No.  It marks the file system copy on write at 5am each morning,
> and thus presents what the state of the world was on each day
> the file server has been running.
>
> 	I also posted the Plan9 equivalent of a Linux "oops" to Usenet.
> 	Register dump, etc. I can't replay that from memory, but I have
>
> I just looked on Usenet and couldn't find it.
> What were you doing when it crashed?
>
> Russ

Booting an install floppy. Here's the post-mortem....

PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
exception/interrupt 14
FLAGS=10602  TRAP=e  ECODE=0 PC=8002e478
   AX 80031755  BX 00000001  CX 20000000  DX 00000000
   SI 7ffffffd  DI 00310ffd  BP 80311000
   CS 0010 DS 0008 ES 0008 FS 0008 GS 0008
   CR0 80000011  CR2 7ffffffd  CR3 0000c000
^P to reset

and the keyboard responds to nothing. Numlock is on, floppy drive light is
off.

Unknown vidcard with a Mach64 chip
3com Etherlink 3
no other cards
Intel Pentium 166

I just DLed another image and get the same basic thing with a couple
different values.

Rick Hohensee

* Re: [9fans] various, and, uh, HI!
@ 2000-09-22 21:18 ` rick
From: rick @ 2000-09-22 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 	Is "the dump" a complete revision control system?
>
> No.  It marks the file system copy on write at 5am each morning,
> and thus presents what the state of the world was on each day
> the file server has been running.
>
> 	I also posted the Plan9 equivalent of a Linux "oops" to Usenet.
> 	Register dump, etc. I can't replay that from memory, but I have
>
> I just looked on Usenet and couldn't find it.
> What were you doing when it crashed?
>
> Russ

Booting from floppy. It said something about int 14.
I'll do it again when I get home.

Rick

* Re: [9fans] various, and, uh, HI!
@ 2000-09-22 19:55 Russ Cox