* Re: [9fans] Pentium F00F bug?
@ 2000-10-09 16:20 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-10-09 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Vipul Ved Prakash <vipul@shell2.ba.best.com>:
	I recently installed plan9 on a Pentium 75 Mhz machine, w/ 64 Mb RAM, Cirrus
	Logic CLGD-5430 (pci) video card and Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B ethernet
	adapter.  I had to explicitly limit memory size with *maxmem statement in
	plan9.ini and add a lib/vgadb entry for rio.  Otherwise, the installation
	proceeded normally.

Can you tell which chipset is on the motherboard?

--jim

* Re: [9fans] Pentium F00F bug?
@ 2000-10-16  8:44 ` Vipul Ved Prakash
From: Vipul Ved Prakash @ 2000-10-16  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20001009162102.95216199DC@mail>, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
>Vipul Ved Prakash <vipul@shell2.ba.best.com>:
>	I recently installed plan9 on a Pentium 75 Mhz machine, w/ 64 Mb RAM, Cirrus
>	Logic CLGD-5430 (pci) video card and Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B ethernet
>	adapter.  I had to explicitly limit memory size with *maxmem statement in
>	plan9.ini and add a lib/vgadb entry for rio.  Otherwise, the installation
>	proceeded normally.
>
>Can you tell which chipset is on the motherboard?

lspci on linux reports:
   Stratus Computers VIA VT82C570MV [Apollo] (Wrong vendor ID!) (rev 02).

best,
vipul.

--

Vipul Ved Prakash, http://www.vipul.net/
PGP Fingerprint d5f78d9fc694a45a00ae086062498922

* Re: [9fans] Pentium F00F bug?
@ 2000-10-09 10:32 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-10-09 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

since the instruction that causes the F00F problem is
an illegal combination, it doesn't seem very likely to me in this case.
it's more likely to be a software problem elsewhere.

* [9fans] Pentium F00F bug?
@ 2000-10-09  9:05 Vipul Ved Prakash
From: Vipul Ved Prakash @ 2000-10-09  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I recently installed plan9 on a Pentium 75 Mhz machine, w/ 64 Mb RAM, Cirrus
Logic CLGD-5430 (pci) video card and Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B ethernet
adapter.  I had to explicitly limit memory size with *maxmem statement in
plan9.ini and add a lib/vgadb entry for rio.  Otherwise, the installation
proceeded normally.

I have been playing around with this box with much gusto.  However, every
once in a while, it freezes and has to be power-cycled.  I have noticed this
happens when there is sustained network activity for a few hours, like a
remote ping.  I am not sure if there is a co-relation though, as this might
have to do with the F00F bug in the Pentium processor on this machine.  At
the moment, I don't have spare hardware to isolate the problem, so I am
hoping someone here can help me debug it.

best regards,
vipul.