* Re: [9fans] Direct download of plan9.gz?
@ 2000-10-10 12:07 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-10-10 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Every limitation (even good few days) is an obstruction for fully automated
	image downloading.

You only have to download it once, and all you have
to do to go from a web browser to a retry downloader
is cut and paste of the URL.  I don't see the problem.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Direct download of plan9.gz?
@ 2000-10-10 13:18 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-10-10 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Since you're using a protocol (HTTP) and data format
(HTML) over the network to access the plan9 site,
and it therefore doesn't know whether you're
Glenda or a computer program submitting the form and receiving the URL,
i'd have thought you could automate it to remove any inconvenience.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1720 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: Re: [9fans] Direct download of plan9.gz?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:35:51 GMT

> if the download URL didn't have a reasonable lifetime it would be an
obstruction,
> but as it is, it should last for a good few days.

Every limitation (even good few days) is an obstruction for fully automated
image downloading.

If it is not possible for the whole image, could that be possible only for
the kernel source?

jj

* Re: [9fans] Direct download of plan9.gz?
@ 2000-10-10  8:35 ` Jakub Jermar
From: Jakub Jermar @ 2000-10-10  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-10-09  9:36 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-10-09  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i believe the following will work (because i've done something similar in the past).

agree the licence; bookmark the URL for the resulting download page;
continue to download all you need from saved URL,
using something that supports HTTP/1.1 byte-ranges,
whether automated or not,
until done.

if the download URL didn't have a reasonable lifetime it would be an obstruction,
but as it is, it should last for a good few days.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1870 bytes --]

From: Jakub Jermar <jj@comberg.cz>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Direct download of plan9.gz?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 09:05:09 GMT

I believe that many people would appreciate if it were ever possible to
download the distribution image directly (from some non-restricted FTP or
web area). It would be nice to be able to download it with an automated
downloading tool while being (for instance) asleep.

I consider the procedure of agreeing with the licence terms merely a
cosmetic step (and a big obstruction). Without it, the life would be so
nice...

Regards,
Jakub Jermar

* [9fans] Direct download of plan9.gz?