* [9fans] connection timeout with file server
@ 2000-11-13  9:27 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2000-11-13  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am trying to install a fresh main file system on a file server, from an
standalone terminal.

term% mount /srv/kfs tmp/root
term% srv -bc il!193.54.153.106 bootes tmp/bootes
term% disk/mkfs -u /adm/users -v -d tmp/bootes -s tmp/root /sys/lib/sysconfig/proto/allproto

files are listed as they are copied until:

mkfs: /sys/lib/sysconfig/proto/allproto:1: can't write tmp/bootes/386/9pcdisk: connection timed out
exit ''

getting rid if /386/9pcdisk is not enough. The same error occurs for
/386/upas/bin/edmail.

The terminal is a PentiumIII/Xeon on an ASUS CUV4XM motherboard, with
an IDE disk and a 3c905 ethernet card.  The file server is an old
Pentium100 on an unidentified mother board, 3C905 ethernet, Tekram
SCSI card. The fs kernel is built from /sys/src/fs/clone, using the
files of ../plan9pc instead of ../emelie.  (BTW, the same SCSI card
and disk on another PentiumIII with a configuration equivalent to the
one of the terminal hangs in or after the ream of w6 : there is no
echo of the terminal, the floppy motor stays rotating).

Any idea ?

--
Jean Mehat, universite de Paris 8 Vincennes a Saint Denis,
jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr, (33) 1 4940 6403, (33) 1 4940 6783 (fax)

* Re: [9fans] connection timeout with file server
@ 2000-11-13 15:25 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2000-11-13 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sorry.
> > and try to do
> >         mount /srv/bootes tmp/bootes
> >         ls -l tmp/bootes
> > does that work?
>
> Yes, it does.
No, it doesn't !
Actually, what works is opening another connection, with
a fresh session...post.
Anyway, the timeout on the fileserver comes around 30 seconds
after the timeout on the terminal.

A slow firewall between the terminal and the file server
doesn't change anything.

jm

* Re: [9fans] connection timeout with file server
@ 2000-11-13 14:53 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2000-11-13 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> and try to do
>         mount /srv/bootes tmp/bootes
>         ls -l tmp/bootes
> does that work?

Yes, it does.
The timeout announced on the terminal side comes quickly.
A timeout is announced on the file server after the 30 sec.

> I have a report that the 3C905C gives problems but have been unable
> to reproduce them myself. Is that what you are using?

Yes, it is. I have some remembrance of problems of this kind
occurring on 3c509 (dramatic performance degradation when
transmitting a lot of packets) but thought that it was solved
long ago.

I will redo the same thing with a slow gateway between the
terminal and file server and let you know what happens.

jm

* [9fans] connection timeout with file server
@ 2000-11-13 10:29 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2000-11-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I think you should use mkext for that purpose.

I think mkfs -d is equivalent to mkfs | mkext.

The timeout problem comes not from the mkfs command ; it is a write()
that fails.