* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on the Ipaq
@ 2000-11-13 22:54 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-11-13 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

we got several iPAQs ages ago to do the Inferno port, which would
normally be slightly quicker than plan 9, but by the time one other bit we
needed arrived i was involved in something else.  i should get back to it
this week.  i wanted to redo some of the code anyhow.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2051 bytes --]

From: presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Cc: fst@real.com
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on the Ipaq
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:32:14 -0500

Inferno is not the system I use so I'm less interested.  However, there is
someone in taiwan that wants to do the Inferno port.  Since the kernels
are somewhat similar, the second should be easier than the first.

However, the hard part of the port is going to be the user interface.
The kernel hacking is trivial.  I believe that neither plan 9 nor
Inferno have a significant step up there.  Rob's agreed to hack rio
for us to incorporate a binding between input and application that
we think will be helpful.  Our first attempt will probably be an
despicable failure, but that's the fun part.  I'll leave it up to all
of you to do a better job either with Inferno or Plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on the Ipaq
@ 2000-11-13 20:32 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-11-13 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: fst

@ 2000-11-13 20:23 ` Fariborz 'Skip' Tavakkolian
From: Fariborz 'Skip' Tavakkolian @ 2000-11-13 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Obviously this is fun while we're waiting for the election results,
but wouldn't an Inferno port be more useful for iPAQ type devices?

At 02:57 PM 11/13/00 -0500, presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
>I'm announcing this before the source is available since
>we're getting so many questions about it.
>
>Sape Mullender and I are porting Plan 9 to the Ipaq H3600.
>At the moment we've got a working kernel, screen support, a port of
>Xscribble, and a read only compressed flash file system.  We're
>working on getting the audio working, putting a r/w file system in
>the flash and, now that we finally got a couple of sleave's, PCMCIA
>support.  Once that's all there, we'll add it to the distribution
>for others to play with since.  I'ld do it sooner but the rate of
>change is still too high and I want the basic structures solid before
>more people jump in.
>
>Mail me if you have questions.

* [9fans] Plan 9 on the Ipaq
@ 2000-11-13 19:57 presotto