* Re: [9fans] alpha anyone?
@ 2000-11-28 19:25 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2000-11-28 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> has anyone gotten plan9 to boot on alpha?

I have!

> does anyone one the correct format for booted_dev in SRM so that it
> could be recognized by getether()?
>
> does anyone know *what* booted_dev is responsible for?

booted_dev is set by the SRM console.  At least on my AlphaPC it is.
Alas, this was the only way I could find of getting the ethernet address
(which is required for bootp to work).  Perhaps there's some "ioctl"
for doing this "correctly", but it's not documented anywhere that I
could find.

It sounds like the SRM console on your (older) Alpha isn't doing
this.  Perhaps they only added the feature in a later version of
SRM.  You could try going to www.compaq.com and getting the
latest version of the firmware.  Or you could hard-code the ether
address as a stop-gap measure.

I'm still searching for a better solution; perhaps something will come up.

* [9fans] alpha anyone?
@ 2000-11-28 18:05 andrey mirtchovski