* Re: [9fans] boot disk stalls
@ 2000-12-11 18:03 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-11 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you could try typing
	control-t control-t p
and
	control-t control-t x
to see if they reveal anything interesting.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2136 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: [9fans] boot disk stalls
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:12:14 GMT

My boot disk fails to boot like this:

root is from (local)[local!#f0/fd0disk]:
kfs..boot: nop...

after that it stops.   it still responds to keypresses at this point,
but refuses to boot any further.

Any thoughts?

-brent

* Re: [9fans] boot disk stalls
@ 2000-12-12 16:53   ` bcrawford
From: bcrawford @ 2000-12-12 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thats what I was thinking to at first, so i messed around with the
kernelpercent=
line in my bootsdisks plan9.ini.  This is roughly what I found:
kernelpercent= < 70 would cause the stall like i mentioned before
kernelpercent= > 80 would cause the "no physical memory" message to appear

Im not sure if all that is really relevent though since I tried the disk
on this same machine
with only 8M of ram, and got the same errors at the same place, with 20M
now, I would
presume that it should at least boot a bit further before dieing like
that.

On a related note,  is there a doc around on what kinda stuff can be put
into that
plan9.ini file?  or, more specificly, is there a way to enable some hard
disk swap space
at boot?  (if this is a memory issue, that should get me over that last
12M hurdle)

thanks,
brent

> I got this too and chalked it up to an inadequate amt of memory.  ??
>
> Sam

> Sam Hopkins
> sah@borf.com
>
> "... let us tame the savageness of man, and make
>         gentle the life of this world."
>
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, bcrawford wrote:
>
> > My boot disk fails to boot like this:
> >
> > root is from (local)[local!#f0/fd0disk]:
> > kfs..boot: nop...
> >
> > after that it stops.   it still responds to keypresses at this point,
> > but refuses to boot any further.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > -brent

* [9fans] boot disk stalls