* Re: [9fans] audio
@ 2000-12-14 19:05 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-12-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'd be surprised if they thought the PAC decoder
> was proprietary.

It's surprising what's surprising.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] audio
@ 2000-12-14 18:54 ` Tom Duff
From: Tom Duff @ 2000-12-14 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Dec 14,  1:43pm, anothy@cosym.net wrote:
> I'm
> guessing that's because Lucent still
> considers the PAC encoders and decoders
> proprietary.

I'd be surprised if they thought the PAC decoder
was proprietary.  Just as with perceptual image
coders like JPEG, all the magic is in the encoder;
the decoder just unmangles the entropy coding
and does some inverse DCTs.

* Re: [9fans] audio
@ 2000-12-14 18:53 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2000-12-14 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anothy, 9fans

Anothy asked
> any chance of getting just the graphic/front-end portions released?

I built a simple widget library for Plan 9 which, used in conjunction
with the thread library allows writing simple graphical programs.
I've just done a major overhaul on that library; it now contains buttons,
sliders, scroll bars, a simple text-edit widget, s handwriting
recognizer based on Linux's xscribble, and two somewhat strange
widgets for selecting and displaying hierarchical data structures.
I've used the latter two only in music.
Our Bitsy (Compaq Ipaq pocket PC) port displays a keyboard based on
the new wisget library.

We're still hard at work on the Bitsy (I'm now doing the power management,
wish me luck) and I won't have time to finish cleaning up the widget
library for a bit.  I need to document all the changes I made.

I'm hoping that, some time early in January, I can release a fresh widget
library and I'll also release the music player then.

	Sape

* [9fans] audio
@ 2000-12-14 18:43 anothy
From: anothy @ 2000-12-14 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the online man pages include info on some
programs not distributed with the Plan 9
distribution - "audio" and "music". i'm
guessing that's because Lucent still
considers the PAC encoders and decoders
(also described in the online man pages)
proprietary. any chance of getting just
the graphic/front-end portions released?
i'd love to plug them into an mp3 decoder
for use with my mp3 collection, and the
more examples of graphical programing in
Plan 9 i can get, the better.
-α.