* [9fans] Does no ethernet address=no reference to /lib/ndb/local?
@ 2000-12-15 23:49 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-12-15 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Recently I have switched to a new ISP (Demon Internet) that assigns me a static
ip address. Up to now I have gotten by without configuring my
/ndb/local file. (ie, I put the dnsserver info in /bin/termrc instead.) Now, in
order to log on using ip/ppp (PAP) my static ip address
has to be specified and that needs to be put into
the /ndb/local file.

My question:
I have a standalone setup with no ethernet card, so
no ethernet address. Don't I need to put ip/ipconfig
in termrc to read the info in /ndb/local? If so,
how do I do this? What do I use for "device" in ip/ipconfig?
Am I looking at this the right way?

Bill

* Re: [9fans] Does no ethernet address=no reference to /lib/ndb/local?
@ 2000-12-16 14:40 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-12-16 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

IF you are starting ppp by hand, there's no reason to use
ipconfig.  You need to mail /ndb/local entries only if the
ISP doesn't support the options for telling you dns server,
etc.  Unfortunately, that's often the case.

One way to see what it's giving you is by cat'ing /net/ndb
after you are connected to the ISP.  Both ppp and ipconfig
put everything they learn in there.  That file is implemented
in the ip stack and is how we let dynamicly learned info
be used by programs that use /lib/ndb files.  Both cs and
dns search that file first.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2449 bytes --]