* [9fans] tcp troubles
@ 2000-12-20 17:33 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-12-20 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Regarding tail -f /sys/log/mail:
        I show 10 lines of info which begins 19 Dec
        implying mail came in.
Regarding /mail/box/wstan/mbox:
        alrw--w--w- M 8 wstan upas   0 Nov  7 12:24 mbox
Some background:
        I had installed a POP3 program that enabled me to
        read email off my isp server using upas/fs. Could
        this now be effecting my ability to use aux/listen
        and acme Mail? Where is the mail?

Bill

* Re: [9fans] tcp troubles
@ 2000-12-20 20:31 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-20 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the following are often useful in debugging interface
and routing problems:

cat /net/ipselftab
cat /net/iproute
cat /net/ipifc/*/status

* [9fans] tcp troubles
@ 2000-12-20 16:13 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-12-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

During one of the several times of running
        'telnet tcp!<ip address>!25
I got the following message in the /sys/log/smtpd
        localhostnl Dec 20 16:23:18 [punt-14.mail.nl.demon.net/
        194 ...] cse.psu.edu!9fans-admin sent 4271 bytes to localhostnl.
        demon.nl!wstan
hmm... something seems to be getting through.

Bill

note: I was running aux/listen tcp at the time.

* Re: [9fans] tcp troubles
@ 2000-12-20 15:19 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-12-20 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

First thing to look at

	netstat -n

should show you a line:

tcp  31   none       Listen       25         0          ::

If it doesn't, you're not listening for telnet calls.
It that's true

1) make sure there is an /rc/bin/service/tcp25

and

2) make sure you're running 'aux/listen tcp'

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1951 bytes --]

From: "William Staniewicz" <wstan@localhostnl.demon.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] tcp troubles
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:49:42 +0100

When I log on to my ISP and run...

	'telnet tcp!<my ip address>!25'

I am getting the following back:

	telnet: connection timed out(...)

Can anyone explain why this is happening
and a way to get around it?

Just for background:

I ran 'rc -x /rc/bin/service/tcp25' and
that seems OK.
Also, I have no ethernet card and have a
standalone system.

Bill

* [9fans] tcp troubles
@ 2000-12-20 14:49 William Staniewicz