* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2000-12-23  1:13 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-23  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>just remember:  charlie don't surf...

certainly not if i can help it.

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2001-01-03  0:34 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-01-03  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

eww.

don't you mean

cLIeNUX sam/tp text processing language cheatsheet
cheatsheet markup...
(sam: more in /tmp/sam.err)

russ

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2001-01-02 17:35 ` cLIeNUX user
From: cLIeNUX user @ 2001-01-02 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

anothy@cosym.net...
>//plan 9 has been around for nearly 10 years.  all this
>//'why can't i have my favourite toy on it?' mail is a
>//bit much.
>
>and i've been at least a casual user for almost half of
>that. how is asking about sam "why can't i have my favorite
>toy"? i was asking how to better use the tools Plan 9
>provides. yeah, you can write telnet with echo and cat; how
>exactly is that relavant to the issue at hand again? i'm
>well aware of the power of the system... which is exactly
>why i was asking how to use it, and the tools it provides,
>better, rather than sticking with sed (which can do what i
>want, but i'd need to use the hold spaces, which are ugly).
>
>much thanks to everyone who responded helpfully.
>-.

h is for help. In cLIeNUX sam. Easy hack, BTW.

cLIeNUX sam/tp text processing language cheatsheet
cheatsheet markup...
  refNAME  `default'  "virtual"  /delimited/  0_or_more...  <variable>

syntax operators                (in commands, not patterns or strings)
  delimiter                     any punctuation, paired or with EOL
  next character is literal     \

text location operators         (address elements)
  linefeed (unix newline)       \n
  "empty line" at End Of File   $
  current text segment          .
  MARKed text segment           '
  scanning DIRection            - or `+'
  Line Number                   <digits>
  Character Number              #<digits>
  match scan PATtern            /regular expression, \n allowed/
  OFFset                        <DIR>LN or CN or PAT or `1'
  HALF address                  <LN or CN or PAT or MARK or `.'><OFF...>
  full ADDRess                  <HALF>,<HALF>    just  ,  is whole buffer

text inputs
  INTERactive                   accept typed text up to . alone on line
  Whole Match Backreference     &
  SUBmatch backreference        \<digit>    nth match ()-delimited in PAT
  LITeral string                /literal text and|or WMB... and|or SUB.../
  INPUT                         LIT or INTER

commands and thier PHRASE syntaxes, some multi-buffer phrases omitted
  <ADDR>a<INPUT>                _append_ INPUT after address
        b<buffer>               make buffer the current buffer
  <ADDR>c<INPUT>                _clobber_ address with INPUT
  <ADDR>d                       _delete_ addressed range of text
        e<file>                 _edit_ file, make file current buffer
        f<name>                 rename current buffer
  <ADDR>g<PAT> PHRASE           do PHRASE _if_ PAT matches in ADDR
        h                       You're soaking in it.
  <ADDR>i<INPUT>                _insert_ INPUT before address
  <ADDR>k                       mark address for reference as '
  <ADDR>m<ADDR>                 move, not copy
        n                       list buffers
  <ADDR>p                       _print_ to stdout. usual default command.
        q                       _quit_. Always works the second time.
  <ADDR>r<file>                 _read_ file into buffer after ADDR
  <ADDR>s<PAT><LIT>             use <ADDR>x<PAT>c<INPUT> instead
  <ADDR>t<ADDR>                 copy
        u                       undo. Unlimited, but one-way.
  <ADDR>v<PAT> PHRASE           do PHRASE if PAT _doesn't_ match in ADDR
  <ADDR>w<file>                 _write_ out ADDR. default is whole buffer.
  <ADDR>x<PAT> PHRASE           for each match of PAT in ADDR do PHRASE
  <ADDR>y<PAT> PHRASE           do PHRASE on text between each PAT in ADDR

Rick Hohensee
Forth, unix, nutmeg, tinsel

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2001-01-02 17:24 ` cLIeNUX user
From: cLIeNUX user @ 2001-01-02 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rob@plan9.bell-labs.com...
> [...]
>	city = New_York; state = _NY
>case 'sf' 'san francisco'
>	city = San_Francisco; state = _CA
>case 'la' 'los angeles'
>	city = Los_Angeles; state = _CA
>case 'north pole'
>	city = North_Pole_Nwt; state = ''; country = CN
>case 'list '*
>	city = list
>	state = $2
>case *
>	if(! ~ $#* 2) usage
>	city = $1
>	state = $2
>	switch($state){
>	case AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA DC WV WI WY PR
>		state = _$state
>		country = US
>	case *
>		country = $state
>		state = ''
>	}
>}
>

>if(~ $city list){
>	if (! hget http://weather.yahoo.com/regional/US/^$state^.html > /tmp/w$pid) exit $status
>	grep 'href="forecast' /tmp/w$pid | sed -n 's/.*forecast.//
>		s/_'$state'_.*$//
>		s/.*/weather & '$state'/p'
>	exit
>}
>
>if (! hget http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/^$city^$state^_^$country^_f.html > /tmp/w$pid) exit $status
>
>#cat /tmp/w$pid
>sam -d /tmp/w$pid >[2] /dev/null <<'!'
>,s/&#176;//g
>,s/&nbsp;//g
>/^<title>.*\n/ {
>	y!</?title>!p
>	1,.d
>}
>f MAIN
>B LOCAL
>b MAIN
>/Local Forecast/,$m "LOCAL"
>b MAIN
>,x/<[aA] ([^>]|\n)+>/ .,/<\/[aA]>/d
>,x/<([^>]|\n)+>/d
>,x/>/d
>,x/Yahoo!.+\n/d
>/^F.+\n/d
>/^&#139;10/;/^100\+\n/d
>0;0/^ *-.+\n/d
>0/.*[0-9]+/,$-/^(Sunset|Barometer).+\n/m0/^Today\n/
>/^Today/,$-/(^Sunset|Barometer)/ x/\n\n+/c/\n/
>/^Today/;.+3 s/\n/ /g
>/^Current conditions/,/^Neighboring.+\n/d
>,x/\n *(\n *)+/c/\n\n/
>,x/^(Sun|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat)$/ a/:/
>0/^(Haze|Snow|Windy|Rain|Showers|Sunny|((Most|Part)ly *)?Cloudy)/m0/:$/
>0/^(Haze|Snow|Windy|Rain|Showers|Sunny|((Most|Part)ly *)?Cloudy)/m0/:$/
>0/^(Haze|Snow|Windy|Rain|Showers|Sunny|((Most|Part)ly *)?Cloudy)/m0/:$/
>0/^(Haze|Snow|Windy|Rain|Showers|Sunny|((Most|Part)ly *)?Cloudy)/m0/:$/
>,x/^(Sun|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat):.*/ a/:/
>0/^Hi .*/m0/:$/
>0/^Hi .*/m0/:$/
>0/^Hi .*/m0/:$/
>0/^Hi .*/m0/:$/
>,x/^(Sun|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat):.*/ a/:/

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2000-12-24  1:18         ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-12-24  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: matt <matt@proweb.co.uk>

> touché

yup, accents.

> There is no view, however `absurd' or `immoral', he refuses to
> consider or to act upon, and no method is regarded as indispensable.
>
> and here's to that brother

damn straight.

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2000-12-23 19:34 anothy
From: anothy @ 2000-12-23 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

//plan 9 has been around for nearly 10 years.  all this
//'why can't i have my favourite toy on it?' mail is a
//bit much.

and i've been at least a casual user for almost half of
that. how is asking about sam "why can't i have my favorite
toy"? i was asking how to better use the tools Plan 9
provides. yeah, you can write telnet with echo and cat; how
exactly is that relavant to the issue at hand again? i'm
well aware of the power of the system... which is exactly
why i was asking how to use it, and the tools it provides,
better, rather than sticking with sed (which can do what i
want, but i'd need to use the hold spaces, which are ugly).

much thanks to everyone who responded helpfully.
-α.

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2000-12-23 11:54       ` matt
From: matt @ 2000-12-23 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

touché

@ 2000-12-23 11:26     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-12-23 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

... the epistemological anarchist has no compunction to defend
the most trite, or the most outrageous statement. ... he may use
reason, emotion, ridicule, an `attitude of serious concern' and
whatever other means have been invented by humans to get the better
of their fellow men.  His favourite pastime is to confuse rationalists
... There is no view, however `absurd' or `immoral', he refuses to
consider or to act upon, and no method is regarded as indispensable.

    -Paul K Feyerabend "Against Method"

:-)

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2000-12-23  9:53   ` matt
From: matt @ 2000-12-23  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

oh dear

if you can't say something to attack the argument attack the grammar

works on usenet

> > God, you really love it don't you? Sure, let's spam the list
> > so they can all see what a foolish little man you are.
>
> spam?  that's unsolicited mail to (usually) market something.
>
> i'm not sure that 'foolish' is the adjective.  rob said it
> best, i think, as 'doing a boyd'.
>
> à la sed...  use english; gratuitous use of french is
> pretentious.  at least get the accents right.
>
> politeness?  read the 1st ammendment.

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
       [not found] <200012222249.XAA04024@unix12.planete.net>
@ 2000-12-23  3:46 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-12-23  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jim.robinson; +Cc: 9fans

> God, you really love it don't you? Sure, let's spam the list
> so they can all see what a foolish little man you are.

spam?  that's unsolicited mail to (usually) market something.

i'm not sure that 'foolish' is the adjective.  rob said it
best, i think, as 'doing a boyd'.

> Plenty of other people seemed to be able to have a much
> nicer way of telling him that no, stream editing ala sed
> wasn't possible, but yes he could batch it like so. What
> made it so hard for you to either A) not respond or B) if
> you went through the effort respond with some politness?

à la sed...  use english; gratuitous use of french is
pretentious.  at least get the accents right.

politeness?  read the 1st ammendment.

take a stroll down university and have a bit of a think.

plan 9 has been around for nearly 10 years.  all this
'why can't i have my favourite toy on it?' mail is a
bit much.

name me one other system where you can write telnet
with echo and cat.

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2000-12-23  2:51   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2000-12-23  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<russ:
| there's always sam -d < script,

Sam, like ed, has no control structures for reacting to errors, so if
the slightest thing goes wrong, it's garbage out.  Really what one wants
is a noninteractive version of acme, so that you can write tcl scripts
to control /dev/editor.  (NIH: that's roughly how XEDIT and REXX worked
in the IBM mainframe universe.)

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
       [not found] <200012222214.XAA00448@unix12.planete.net>
@ 2000-12-22 22:48 ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-12-22 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boyd; +Cc: 9fans

God, you really love it don't you? Sure, let's spam the list
so they can all see what a foolish little man you are.

Plenty of other people seemed to be able to have a much
nicer way of telling him that no, stream editing ala sed
wasn't possible, but yes he could batch it like so. What
made it so hard for you to either A) not respond or B) if
you went through the effort respond with some politness?

JHim

@ 2000-12-22 22:34 ` kilgore
From: kilgore @ 2000-12-22 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-12-22 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sam -fucking d -- RTFM.

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2000-12-22 14:21 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-12-22 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-12-22 14:14 ` Mark C. Otto
From: Mark C. Otto @ 2000-12-22 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In unix, the difference between ed and sed is that edits are applied globally by
default.  In sam, this is equivalent to adding a comma for the addresses.  As a
variation to russ's suggestion, you can use an inline here document rc(1), and
add arguments right into your editing script.

sam -d filename <<!
 ,x/$<from argument>/ c/$<to argument>/
 other sam commands
 w $<argument for output>
 !

Mark
The future of plan9: small tools to make big things.

* Re: [9fans] scripting sam
@ 2000-12-22  6:37 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-12-22  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans