* Re: [9fans] python and lua
@ 2001-01-05  3:44 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-05  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I'm running a local kfs, would these go away with a real
>fileserver?

Kfs is not so robust as real fileserver.  I'm now facing this many times.
This is my first time to use kfs efficiently, and got a different view on
Plan 9.  :-)  (I'm kidding)

However, I found sam runnes without rio.  Why I know that?  Because
I have to set an environment for sys user without rio etc. to compile
pcdisk kernel in Toshiba Tecra 48MB memory, local swap system.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] python and lua
@ 2001-01-08  5:26 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-08  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Try running a few instances of the following program
>
>	for(i in `{seq 10})
>		memeat -x 10000000

I tried this on our dual pentium(133MHz) without local disk jus now.

swap area (/n/gabbroother/swap/trachyte) grew up to 40MB, and I
stopped the program at that point.  Nothing bad happened.
I'll not try it on my notebook with local disk, because I know what
happenes.  :-)

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2769 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] python and lua
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:12:50 -0500

> What kind of situations?
> I asked this because I've never seen it.

Usually a terminal booted from local disk
can't sustain more than a few minutes of local disk swapping
before the window system or kfs swaps in a bogus page
and dies.

Try running a few instances of the following program

	for(i in `{seq 10})
		memeat -x 10000000

and sit back.  This doesn't seem to happen when swapping
to a network file server.  Perhaps the timing is different.

I suspect something in the x86 memory management code,
although presotto says the carreras had similar problems.
I spent a day this summer trying to find anything, but
like everyone else came up empty handed.

Instead, I moved more memory in from another machine
and turned off swapping.  On a laptop, of course,
this is less of an option, but I don't run my laptop
with swapping enabled either.  I'd much rather see
"no physical memory" and type ^t^t k.

Russ

g% cat memeat.c
#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>

void
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
	int xflag=0;
	int i, n;
	char *p;

	ARGBEGIN{
	case 'x':
		xflag=1;
	}ARGEND;
	n = atoi(argv[0]);
	p = malloc(n);
	memset(p, 0, n);
	i=0;
	for(;;) {
		sleep(1000+1000*(rand()%8));
		if(xflag)	memset(p, i++, n);
	}
}
g%

* Re: [9fans] python and lua
@ 2001-01-08  4:51 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-08  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Russ of your detailed description.

>I'd much rather see
>"no physical memory" and type ^t^t k.

Yeah!
^t^t k is a familiar command these days after I began to touch notebook
and kfs.  :-)

On the contrary, we've never experienced in our dual 133MHz petium
desktop with 48MB memory without local disk (with swapping to other
filesystem in our fileserver) and connected to networked file server has
never let us to issue that one.  In this case, however, many heavy works
are doen under the CPU server.  :-)

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] python and lua
@ 2001-01-08  4:12 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-01-08  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-08  4:02 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-08  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-05 12:37 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-01-05 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I should have been more specific ont his problem.   I guess this is concerned
>>with memory swapping on a swap partition of local disk same with that kfs system
>>residing.

we see problems even with a real file server, and suspect
a bug in the paging code but haven't yet found it
(which might simply mean the cause is somewhere else).

* Re: [9fans] python and lua
@ 2001-01-05 11:58 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-01-05 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I'm running a local kfs, would these go away with a real
>>fileserver?

in a very useful sense, nothing goes away with a real file server
(with a worm)

* Re: [9fans] python and lua
@ 2001-01-05  7:16 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-05  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No!
I forgot to write one line

>--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto       12354048 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/dos
>--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto  1428553728 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/plan9
>-lrw------- S 0 okamoto okamoto                       0 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/raw

Those lines should be

--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto       12354048 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/dos
--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto  1388203008 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/fs

@ 2001-01-05  7:10 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-05  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Kfs is not so robust as real fileserver.  I'm now facing this many times.

I should have been more specific ont his problem.   I guess this is concerned
with memory swapping on a swap partition of local disk same with that kfs system
residing.

My /dev/sdC0 directory shows as:

--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto      10486784 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/9fat
--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto                      0 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/ctl
--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto  1440940032 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/data
--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto       12354048 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/dos
--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto  1428553728 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/plan9
-lrw------- S 0 okamoto okamoto                       0 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/raw
--rw-r----- S 0 okamoto okamoto       29863936 Jan 5 09:47 /dev/sdC0/swap

I'm using this 30MB swap partition for swap region when I use kfs filesystem.

When I tried to compile 9pcdisk with rio, ktrans etc (full spec of my machine),
link loader may face dead lock, and then, I have to type ^^t on the way of
linking.
Another more occuring situation is tar-ing a large compressed file such as linux
kernel source to my home directory.

When I load root filesystem from our fileserver for this same machine, on the contrary,
I have no probelem.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2004 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:44:31 0900
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:44:31 0900

@ 2001-01-05  4:32 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-05  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, I thought I had known it.
When I saw it in my eye, however, I was surprised.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] python and lua
@ 2001-01-05  4:17 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-05  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	However, I found sam runnes without rio.

Of course it does.  Rio is just a multiplexer of its own environment.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] python and lua
@ 2001-01-05  3:31 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-05  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's a no-op on the 3dfx, I believe.  No one has written the
interace code for the hardware support.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1410 bytes --]

From: arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Fri,  5 Jan 101 11:50:11 +0900

Hello,

>I do have a 'echo accel
>on >#v/vgactl' in my termrc, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of
>difference.
Try:
echo -n 'hwaccel on' >'#v/vgactl'

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* Re: [9fans] python and lua
@ 2001-01-05  1:48 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-05  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There are a few antialiased fonts, all derived from outline.

	echo /lib/font/bit/*/*.1

for ldepth-1 subfont files.

Asking page to reverse its image is one place in which the graphics
model gets in the way; the system gets very busy nattering back and
forth between the application and the graphics driver.  A similar
thing happens when loading fonts; on a slow line, rio takes a while
to respond when you cat a Japanese file.  The reason for your
`lots of random slow-downs' eludes me, though.  I do think that
getting hardware acceleration running on the voodoo3 (I'm pretty
sure no one's done the work) will help somewhat.  The system
will surely feel zippier.  Anyone?  It's easy if you have the spec.

-rob

* [9fans] A Plan 9 Python Interest Group?
@ 2001-01-02 17:39 Randolph Fritz
From: Randolph Fritz @ 2001-01-02 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Off and on I've been hammering away on getting Python 2.0 to build in
the Plan 9 APE.  I have got to the point of compiling and running, and
it passes many of the built-in self-tests, but it still has major
problems--there are serious storage leaks, and for some reason
(perhaps related) complex arithmetic has problems.

(And, meantime, I've had a messy crash I need to recover from so I
can't work on it for a while.)

I'd like to know who else is interested in this and if anyone is
interested if we could get a Plan 9 Python project together.  I would
like to see Plan 9 support, native (though with sockets to support
various existing internet client classes) and with classes to support
Plan 9's unique features, in some future release of Python.

I've made a start at getting it going, and I can put in some more
work, but I can't do most of it; once the next term starts, I'll have
to concentrate on my (non-CS) schoolwork.  So are there enough of us
with interest and time to keep at it?

Randolph