* Re: [9fans] paging
@ 2001-01-08 15:17 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-01-08 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> - it did not happen with 2nd edition on any platform

but lots of other really bad things did.

* Re: [9fans] paging
@ 2001-01-08 15:39 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-01-08 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that's true enough.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1388 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: Re: [9fans] paging
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:17:12 -0500

@ 2001-01-08 10:02 ` Alexander Viro
From: Alexander Viro @ 2001-01-08 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:

> - it can happen with paging to local disc
> - it CAN happen when paging over an ethernet to a file from a file server
> - it can lead to process hangs or traps; rio and acme are common targets
> - to judge from last-write times on the paging files, the problem is caused by paging
> - uniprocessors are affected
> - we most easily provoke it using charon to read huge pages on slashdot(!)
> - rio and acme (and emu) use rfork(RFMEM).  coincidence?
> - it did not happen with 2nd edition on any platform
>
> at one point it seemed that it might be related to shared text/memory, because
> it once left a particular program corrupted but enough elsewhere was
> running that we could look at it (normally it damages enough of the interface
> that it is hard to debug).  i'm still not convinced.

	Just a gut feeling: procflushseg() and stuff triggered by it.
Check for situations when process gets created in the middle of procflushseg().
I didn't look deep enough, but it just screams "races will grow here, even
if there is none right now"...

* Re: [9fans] paging
@ 2001-01-08  9:38 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-01-08  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I suspect something in the x86 memory management code,
>>although presotto says the carreras had similar problems.
>>I spent a day this summer trying to find anything, but
>>like everyone else came up empty handed.

oh good (in a way); i was beginning to feel incompetent.

from our observations: