* Re: [9fans] Re: Thinkpad 760XL - A question about VGA probing
@ 2001-01-09  2:21 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-01-09  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

in DOS, try running

	c:\>debug
	- d c700:0
	<hex dump like from vgainfo.txt here>
	- q

i just typed that from memory, i think the prompt is -.

to figure out the offset for the TVGA BIOS  Z6.1I line.
make sure you say Z6.1I not Z6.I1 and that there
are two spaces after BIOS.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Thinkpad 760XL - A question about VGA probing
@ 2001-01-09  4:22 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-09  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>dossrv: serving #s/dos
>
>And it hangs (13m and running) right here.

Well..., I seem to see this onece at my Toshiba Tecra.
However, my memory is too much fgaint in this point.
Try to change your monitor line in your plan9.ini.

Hope this may help

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2956 bytes --]

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Re: Thinkpad 760XL - A question about VGA probing
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:09:27 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> 0xC0042=" Z6.I1"
>
> will do for now. Later, once you have it running, you can
> do aux/vga -B to dump the entire BIOS and look for a more unique
> string.

Both my original mod on the existing 760XE entry and this one cause the
same behaviour,

48416K bytes
205216K swap
root is from (local)[local!#f0/fd0disk]: kfs...boot: nop...kfs...time...
dossrv: serving #s/dos

And it hangs (13m and running) right here.

I did note that if I give it a 3-finger salute it says,

cpu0: exiting

I assume this is normal.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
                           -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-

* [9fans] Re: Thinkpad 760XL - A question about VGA probing
@ 2001-01-09  3:09 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-01-09  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-09  2:25 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-01-09  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> What is the native resolution of the screen, 800x600?
> If so,
> 	monitor=svga
> 	vgasize=800x600x8
> are correct. You did add an ID string to /lib/vgadb, right? The
> info you supplied indicated you hadn't. See the postings of earlier
> today on how to get a better register dump.

Yes. No, I didn't. I am however at that point. My first question is that
I'm looking at,

0xC7345="TVGA BIOS  Z6.I1 (0.02)"		#IBM Thinkpad 760ED (U9A)
0xC7367="TVGA BIOS  Z6.I1 (0.05) "		#IBM Thinkpad 560E

so how do I pick that first ID string? Also from looking at the previous
dump it looks like I should use a match string like,

0xC????="Z6.I1"			#Should be 760/560 compatible in general
				#or is there something non-arbitrary about
				#the identifier outside of unique
				#identifier for each type of chip/card?

I was going to take the 760 listing and reduce it to the one I suggested.
I figure it can't kill anything and I can always put it back.

@ 2001-01-09  2:19 jmk