* Re: [9fans] iPAQ
@ 2001-01-09 13:49 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-01-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wstan, 9fans

We currently run Plan 9 on an Ipaq.  A little more polishing and we'll stick
the code out there.  I'm using mine with a wavelan card.  Nice having access
to my file server while I'm walking around.  It was enough to get me to
put a wavelan access point in my house.  The keyboard/graffiti
interface is still a bit awkward.  I wish I had the script recognition software
that comes with wince, so far all we have is a port of xscribble.

It does make a nice MP3/PAC player.  Plenty of cycles.

The one thing we want to put on it before releasing the code is our own
boot loader so that we can do soft power management.  Right now we're
using the Linux boot loader and we're forced to use the hard battery
switch at the bottom of the bitsy.  It's just a dip switch and I fear for
its longevity.  Unfortunately, without a JTAG programmer, we're kindof
scared to rewrite the loader.  One mistake and the bitsy becomes a piece
of inert metal.  I may just set up a linux system and edit their loader
to do what I want.  My likelyhood of screwing up then is smaller.

* [9fans] iPAQ
@ 2001-01-09 16:38 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-01-09 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I recall the iPAQ being discussed a little in the past. I am
thinking of purchasing one. Has anyone thought of putting
Plan9 into one or have a way of interracting with it? I know
Linux is an option but I prefer Plan9.

Bill