* [9fans] fs kernel panic + suggestion for wiki
@ 2001-02-02 16:57 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-02-02 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
	anyone got a "mbfree already free" panic with the
fs kernel?

I'm using the one patched for ide disks, and get this
one as soon as it receives an attach request.

Regarding the wiki, I'd suggest that anyone that has
a particular pc model that is not a regular pc (e.g.
laptops, etc.) could add a section on the
"Troubleshooting the install process" stating minor
details needed to install plan 9 there. Can be an
overkill, but may help to increase the set of users.

* Re: [9fans] fs kernel panic + suggestion for wiki
@ 2001-02-03 21:35   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2001-02-03 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Boyd Roberts wrote:

> why not attempt to debug it?

I already changed the fileserver to record the PC address of the
caller of the free routine. As soon as I can get back to the office
I'll try to find out who's the guilty.

* Re: [9fans] fs kernel panic + suggestion for wiki
@ 2001-02-02 23:38 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-02-02 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think that changing the panic() with a return
would be dangerous, but was thinking on trying that, since
it could be that the buffer is indeed unused after the first
mbfree. If I try it and this crazy idea (surprisingly) works,
I'll drop a line to the list.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1747 bytes --]

From: jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] fs kernel panic + suggestion for wiki
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:40:24 -0500

On Fri Feb  2 05:45:21 EST 2001, nemo@gsyc.escet.urjc.es wrote:
> Hi,
> 	anyone got a "mbfree already free" panic with the
> fs kernel?
>
> I'm using the one patched for ide disks, and get this
> one as soon as it receives an attach request.

This one bites us occassionally and I was looking at it yesterday.
I have some ideas I need to go over with someone else before I
come to any real conclusions.

* Re: [9fans] fs kernel panic + suggestion for wiki
@ 2001-02-02 19:13 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-02-02 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <nemo@gsyc.escet.urjc.es>

> I think that changing the panic() with a return
> would be dangerous,

err, suicidal.

> If I try it and this crazy idea (surprisingly) works,
> I'll drop a line to the list.

i won't hold my breath as you'll be busily trying to
resurrect your fileserver.

why not attempt to debug it?

* Re: [9fans] fs kernel panic + suggestion for wiki
@ 2001-02-02 16:40 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-02-02 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans