* Re: [9fans] Plan9 Relational Databases
@ 2001-02-08 20:15 diaz
From: diaz @ 2001-02-08 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> A couple of months ago, Bill Staniewicz asked about what RDBMSs are
> used in plan9 if any.  I didn't see anyone respond to this, but all I
> have seen is the following:

I responded to Bill directly and should have sent this out to the list.

At the bottom of the distribution page is a tar file for 'pq'.

It is an "implicit" rdb in that joins are done across the relations
dynamically.  You create your relations and  describe the schemata
in a dispatch file.  When queries are made the join code figures
out the best way to link the relations to resolve the query.
It also (cleanly) supports distributed relations.

It has a lot of flexibility and power, and more functionality
than my hastily put together documentation describes.
It has seen a lot of heavy, production use over the years
in a variety of applications.  As an example, one directory
application currently supports 20 million lookups per month.

The distribution includes a sample set of relations you can
experiment with, man pages, etc.

Finally, I have to say that despite the attribution on the web page,
pq is the work of Michael Baldwin (who is now at Vita Nuova -
baldwin@vitanuova.com).  I merely packaged it up.
Given that, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may
have.

Hope you find it useful.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 Relational Databases
@ 2001-02-09  2:01 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-02-09  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010208201814.5990119AD4@mail.cse.psu.edu> you wrote:

>> A couple of months ago, Bill Staniewicz asked about what RDBMSs are
>> used in plan9 if any.  I didn't see anyone respond to this, but all I
>> have seen is the following:

> I responded to Bill directly and should have sent this out to the list.

> At the bottom of the distribution page is a tar file for 'pq'.

                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
What is the URL for this page?

- ishwar

* [9fans] Re: Plan9 Relational Databases
@ 2001-02-09  2:18   ` Vincent D Murphy
From: Vincent D Murphy @ 2001-02-09  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

= Ish Rattan <ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu> [20010209 0202]:
> > At the bottom of the distribution page is a tar file for 'pq'.
>
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> What is the URL for this page?

go to http://plan9.bell-labs.com/.  follow the "Distribution Updates" link.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 Relational Databases
@ 2001-02-09  9:40   ` nw
From: nw @ 2001-02-09  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 02:17:56 GMT, ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu (Ish
Rattan) wrote:

>In article <20010208201814.5990119AD4@mail.cse.psu.edu> you wrote:
>> At the bottom of the distribution page is a tar file for 'pq'.
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>What is the URL for this page?

start here:

	http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/ureg.html

bottom of next page.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 Relational Databases
@ 2001-02-09  9:41 ` vecera
From: vecera @ 2001-02-09  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How could I insert a record into database?

vecera

> The distribution includes a sample set of relations you can
> experiment with, man pages, etc.
>
> Finally, I have to say that despite the attribution on the web page,
> pq is the work of Michael Baldwin (who is now at Vita Nuova -
> baldwin@vitanuova.com).  I merely packaged it up.
> Given that, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may
> have.
>
> Hope you find it useful.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* [9fans] Re: Plan9 Relational Databases
@ 2001-02-08 19:31 ` Vincent D Murphy
From: Vincent D Murphy @ 2001-02-08 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

= Mark Otto <Mark_Otto@FWS.Gov> [20010208 1859]:
> Do others have an idea of what a plan9 RDB FS should look like?

i think the real challenge is in providing ACID while keeping 9p simple,
clear, and general; the interface would follow.

i don't think defining the interface is the real challenge.  surely,
the structure and semantics of the fs could be devised the same way they
are for any 9p fileserver, (e.g. /net).  essentially the only argument
left to be resolved is how granular the fs should be; should files be
rows or entire tables (shooting from the hip, i would say the latter,
though taking efficient query evalutation into account may shift the
goalposts somewhat).

i wonder could joins be done with bind(2) though; that would be just
too cool.  :)

perhaps it's worth mentioning that the tux2 filesystem for linux promised
atomic writes using a method similar to that in netapp's woffle fs.
maybe that's somewhere to start.  http://innominate.org/~phillips/tux2