* Re: [9fans] macro files with troff
@ 2001-02-19 22:09 dmr
From: dmr @ 2001-02-19 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > what you really want is the documentation in the 10th edition
 > manuals... i doubt they're still in print though.

They're not.  However, the postscript does exist, pretty much.
Oddly, someone asked last week whether we could put up
the 10th edition on the WWW.  I'll try to do at least
the papers that are relevant to Plan 9 and aren't in
its doc set.

	Dennis

* [9fans] macro files with troff
@ 2001-02-20  3:10 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-02-20  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I would like to begin using troff to prepare some
document files. So far, I have looked over
/sys/doc/troff.ps which includes the manual and
tutorial. It appears the easiest way to start is to
invoke troff with a standard macro/package like
-ms or -mm. The definitions for these I presume are in
/sys/lib/tmac.

When I begin writing the document with acme, how do I
identify all the 'requests' set in the packages? For example, Would I need
to look in /sys/lib/tmac/tmac.s for info on the -ms
package or is there a table set up for them somewhere?
Any other hints on how to begin using this would be
appreciated.

		-Bill

* Re: [9fans] macro files with troff
@ 2001-02-19 22:25 rog
From: rog @ 2001-02-19 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> When I begin writing the document with acme, how do I
> identify all the 'requests' set in the packages? For example, Would I need
> to look in /sys/lib/tmac/tmac.s for info on the -ms
> package or is there a table set up for them somewhere?
> Any other hints on how to begin using this would be
> appreciated.

ms(6) is useful here, but extremely terse.  you can get quite a long
way with this and copying idioms from the various examples in
/sys/doc.

what you really want is the documentation in the 10th edition
manuals... i doubt they're still in print though.

  rog.

* Re: [9fans] macro files with troff
@ 2001-02-19 21:21   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2001-02-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The Research Unix 10th Edition documentation is a good source for troff
related material.

* Re: [9fans] macro files with troff
@ 2001-02-19 21:20 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-19 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Try ms(6) and look at /sys/doc/*.ms for examples.
You really don't want to look in /sys/lib/tmac unless
absolutely necessary.

Russ