* Re: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-08 16:06 rog
From: rog @ 2001-03-08 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've seen that message when trying to create a new
window that's bigger than the overall display size.
e.g. using emu -g800x600 on a 640x480 screen.

the error message is coming from rio.

what command line arguments did you give emu?

  cheers,
    rog.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1713 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:44:11 -0500

I hope it's OK to post Inferno related topics here. If there
is a better place please advise me.

I just installed Inferno onto my Plan9 OS. Everything went well
and followed the directions in the README.

I have gotten down as far as starting the wm Window Manager.
This is what happens:

	; wm/wm
	attachscreen: can't mount window manager: bad rectangle in attach
	wm: cannot initialise display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new:
	;

Where is the problem?

		-Bill

* Re: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-08 23:35 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-08 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Excuse me, Inferno ships on the Plan 9 CD and provides the only 'shrink
>wrap' browser so your point is simply OS bigotry. It is clear that Inferno
>is intended by Lucent to be used with Plan 9. Therefore discussion within
>the scope of Plan 9 operations should be apropos.

i think you misread my intentions: ultimately i don't myself care where
Inferno is mentioned, especially where the two overlap because they are
clearly related, and Inferno is indeed a Plan 9 application,
but someone did ask, and i therefore pointed out that
there were several places already dedicated to it (well, if you
discount `MAKE MONEY FAST' and `Napster Lives!'  messages),
where one could ask Inferno-specific questions.

Inferno ships on the Plan 9 CD because we (not Lucent) thought it might
encourage interest, and it provided a moderately capable browser (including
Javascript, and with finite source).

our Plan 9 CD includes other software (mainly software package ports
contributed by Russ `The Wonderful' Cox) that we also thought would
be useful and in which we have no proprietary interest at all.

* Re: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-08 22:34 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-03-08 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Which doesn't change the point one whit.

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> Actually Lucent intends nothing about Inferno, Vitanuova now owns everything
> including intentions.  I'm perfectly happy to defer to their desires about
> when/where to discuss Inferno.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
                           -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-

* Re: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-08 22:18 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-03-08 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-08 22:10 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-03-08 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Actually Lucent intends nothing about Inferno, Vitanuova now owns everything
including intentions.  I'm perfectly happy to defer to their desires about
when/where to discuss Inferno.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2665 bytes --]

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:18:40 -0600 (CST)

@ 2001-03-08 21:51 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-03-08 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, that was the problem. It comes up OK now.

Thank you,
Bill

BTW, just joined the inferno list.  :)

> well, that's your problem.  you can't fit an inferno window of that
> size into rio (you have to take into account the 4-or-so pixel rio
> border too).
>
> you'd have the same problem if you tried to use the window(1) command
> to create a new rio window of that size.
>
> try -g1000x760 (which has the additional benefit of leaving you a
> little "plan 9 space" around the edges...
>
>   rog.

* Re: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-08 21:16 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-03-08 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here is my /rc/bin/termrc:

	EMU=(-g1024x768)

Here is plan9.ini :

	vgasize=1024x768x8

I am just typing "emu" in rc.

		-Bill

> i've seen that message when trying to create a new
> window that's bigger than the overall display size.
> e.g. using emu -g800x600 on a 640x480 screen.
>
> the error message is coming from rio.
>
> what command line arguments did you give emu?
>
>   cheers,
>     rog.

* [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-08 20:44 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-03-08 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-08 16:33 rog
From: rog @ 2001-03-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

well, that's your problem.  you can't fit an inferno window of that
size into rio (you have to take into account the 4-or-so pixel rio
border too).

you'd have the same problem if you tried to use the window(1) command
to create a new rio window of that size.

try -g1000x760 (which has the additional benefit of leaving you a
little "plan 9 space" around the edges...

  rog.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1669 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:16:56 -0500

Here is my /rc/bin/termrc:

	EMU=(-g1024x768)

Here is plan9.ini :

	vgasize=1024x768x8

I am just typing "emu" in rc.

		-Bill

> i've seen that message when trying to create a new
> window that's bigger than the overall display size.
> e.g. using emu -g800x600 on a 640x480 screen.
>
> the error message is coming from rio.
>
> what command line arguments did you give emu?
>
>   cheers,
>     rog.

* Re: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-08 15:21 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-03-08 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010308144810.C2E3F199C1@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>I hope it's OK to post Inferno related topics here. If there
>is a better place please advise me.
>
>I just installed Inferno onto my Plan9 OS. Everything went well
>and followed the directions in the README.
>
>I have gotten down as far as starting the wm Window Manager.
>This is what happens:
>
>	; wm/wm
>	attachscreen: can't mount window manager: bad rectangle in attach
>	wm: cannot initialise display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new:
>	;
>
>Where is the problem?

This might be a dumb question, but are you trying to run it under
acme?  Okay, I know that was a dumb question.  Did you invoke emu
with the -g option?  eg, emu -g800x600 ?  (Note the lack of a space
between the g and 8....).

	- Dan C.

(ps- there is comp.os.inferno, but lots of precedence has been set
with talking about Inferno on 9fans....)

* Re: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-08 15:13 forsyth