* [9fans] hardware
@ 2001-03-15 21:47 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-03-15 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

my plan 9 terminal just died (hardware failure), so i'm
looking for a new one. i'm looking at AMD chips and Asus
motherboards. and motherboards i should avoid? any come
particularly recomended? anybody used plan 9 with DDR?
-α.

* Re: [9fans] hardware
@ 2001-03-16  0:01 ` William K. Josephson
From: William K. Josephson @ 2001-03-16  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 04:47:31PM -0500, anothy@cosym.net wrote:
> my plan 9 terminal just died (hardware failure), so i'm
> looking for a new one. i'm looking at AMD chips and Asus
> motherboards. and motherboards i should avoid? any come
> particularly recomended? anybody used plan 9 with DDR?

I've run 3rd edition on an Asus KT-7A with a 1GHz Athlon with no
problems.  I haven't run it very hard yet, though, as I don't have
proper support for my video hardware (and what hardware I do have is
buggy).  I guess I need to get a manual out of 3DLabs and find some
time to hack up a driver to support the SGI flatpanel/VX1-1600SW card.

 -WJ

* [9fans] Hardware
@ 2002-08-19  9:25 Mark Constant
From: Mark Constant @ 2002-08-19  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I thought I had read that you can't install Plan 9 on a computer that
has a geforce 256. Is this true?

* Re: [9fans] hardware
@ 2001-03-16  1:48 geoff
From: geoff @ 2001-03-16  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I haven't got my copy with me, but there's advice about AMD processors
and various motherboards in PC Hardware in a Nutshell, by Robert Bruce
Thompson and Barbara Fritchman Thompson, O'Reilly & Associates,
published October, 2000, ISBN 1-56592-599-8.  It's 500 pages and I
find it to be much better than the usual run-of-the-mill PC Hardware
Bibles that run at least 1,200 pages yet don't say very much on the
topics I care about.

* Re: [9fans] hardware
@ 2001-03-16  1:31 ` William K. Josephson
From: William K. Josephson @ 2001-03-16  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 08:22:23PM -0500, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> I have an SGI flatpanel/VX1-1600SW card combo here awaiting your driver...

Heh.  Russ has a thesis and I have a compiler, so it seems it will
probably be at least May before I have time...

 -WJ

* Re: [9fans] hardware
@ 2001-03-16  1:22 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-03-16  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Mar 15 19:02:24 EST 2001, wkj@eecs.harvard.edu wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 04:47:31PM -0500, anothy@cosym.net wrote:
> > my plan 9 terminal just died (hardware failure), so i'm
> > looking for a new one. i'm looking at AMD chips and Asus
> > motherboards. and motherboards i should avoid? any come
> > particularly recomended? anybody used plan 9 with DDR?
>
> I've run 3rd edition on an Asus KT-7A with a 1GHz Athlon with no
> problems.  I haven't run it very hard yet, though, as I don't have
> proper support for my video hardware (and what hardware I do have is
> buggy).  I guess I need to get a manual out of 3DLabs and find some
> time to hack up a driver to support the SGI flatpanel/VX1-1600SW card.
>
>  -WJ

I have an SGI flatpanel/VX1-1600SW card combo here awaiting your driver...

Thanks.