* [9fans] compaq h3650 (bitsy) port
@ 2001-03-28 14:02 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-03-28 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's missing a document describing how to get Plan 9 on the
machine and a read/write file system for the flash.  I'm
writing the former and brucee has written the latter (but
for the new 9P2000 protocol so I have to do a little conversion
before I send it out.

There'll be an update in a few days with both of these.  As jmk
said, we had internal (people scheduling) issues here that
determined when the distribution got out so we'll dribble
a few more things out over the next week or so.

If any one is wondering, what you get with the bitsy port
is:

	1) a full plan 9 on the PDA
	2) an emulated keyboard and a graffiti-like, one drawn
	  character at a time, pen area
	3) working speaker and headphone jack
	4) a compressed read-only flash file system whose
	5) a wavelan interface
	6) a serial driver

We have some power management (ilde mode) but we haven't finished
putting the machine into sleep mode so that you can have
a soft power-off.  Right now you have to do a hard power
off using the little dip switch accessible through a port
in the bottom.  That switch is only meant to disconnect the
battery for shipping and can't be used forever, it'll break.

In short it still has a ways to go before it gets out of toy
stage.  We'll get the power management and journaling
flash file system out soon.  What we're hoping we'll get
back are more comm pcmcia devices for it so that it can
become more useful.  We also need more people playing with
interfaces to make it easier to use.  I've been using it
as a portable laptop which kinda strains both my eyes
and fingers.  Rob's control(2) library should provide
enough widgets to get some better UI's working (not just
for the bitsy).

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-03-28 14:02 UTC | newest]