* Re: [9fans] Video drivers
@ 2001-04-04 20:23 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-04-04 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm looking at putting this in finally.
can you do a 'aux/vga -p' on one of those machines
and send me the output?

thanks

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3192 bytes --]

From: Eric Dorman <edorman@san.rr.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Video drivers
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:33:40 -0800

Patrick Dubroy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Plan 9 on an HP Vectra VL 5/166, which has
> onboard video in the form of the S3 Trio64 V2/DX (86C775). To get rio to
> start I added a line to vgadb, underneath the others for the 86C775
> chipset:
>
> 0xC0048="HP/S3 86C775 Video BIOS. Version 1.01.04-H2"
>
> And rio starts up fine, except about 3 quarters of the way across the
> screen I get a big set of vertical colour stripes, and then the screen
> starts to repeat itself.
>
> On the floppy I have chosen generic Multisync monitor @ 65Hz, and I am
> running only at 640x480, 8-bit colour.
>
> So has anyone had similar problems with this card? From the hardware
> compatibility lists it seems that the card was tested in previous
> releases, but not the most recent release. Maybe it would be best to try
> and find a new card?
> Pat

i have two of those boxes; quite nice terminals with a P5-233 MMX in
them.
I use one as auth server, the second as a terminal.

the problem you're seeing is that some of the Trio3D registers
aren't getting zeroed correctly, so when you switch to graphics mode
the screen clipped on the left.  if you have 1Mb of memory then you
can get 1024x768x8.

download everything just like normal; ignore the replication.  once
you've done that put the following at the end of the indicated
functions:
(i would post a diff but my array is offline)..

/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/s3generic.c:init()
	vga->crt[0x90] = 0x0;
	vga->crt[0x91] = 0x0;

/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/s3generic.c:load()
	vgaxo( Crtx, 0x90, vga->crt[0x90] );
	vgaxo( Crtx, 0x91, vga->crt[0x91] );

'mk install' and you're set.  doesn't seem to bust regular s3 Trio64
AFAIK.

--eric

* Re: [9fans] Video drivers
@ 2001-03-27  7:00     ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2001-03-27  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Eric Dorman wrote:
> Eric Dorman wrote:
> > the problem you're seeing is that some of the Trio3D registers
> > aren't getting zeroed correctly, so when you switch to graphics mode
> > the screen clipped on the left.  if you have 1Mb of memory then you
> > can get 1024x768x8.
> err, clipped on the right.  don't type on an empty stomach.

Well, 1280x1024x8.  Yuk.

--eric

* Re: [9fans] Video drivers
@ 2001-03-27  2:40   ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2001-03-27  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-27  2:33 ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2001-03-27  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Patrick Dubroy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Plan 9 on an HP Vectra VL 5/166, which has
> onboard video in the form of the S3 Trio64 V2/DX (86C775). To get rio to
> start I added a line to vgadb, underneath the others for the 86C775
> chipset:
>
> 0xC0048="HP/S3 86C775 Video BIOS. Version 1.01.04-H2"
>
> And rio starts up fine, except about 3 quarters of the way across the
> screen I get a big set of vertical colour stripes, and then the screen
> starts to repeat itself.
>
> On the floppy I have chosen generic Multisync monitor @ 65Hz, and I am
> running only at 640x480, 8-bit colour.
>
> So has anyone had similar problems with this card? From the hardware
> compatibility lists it seems that the card was tested in previous
> releases, but not the most recent release. Maybe it would be best to try
> and find a new card?
> Pat

i have two of those boxes; quite nice terminals with a P5-233 MMX in
them.
I use one as auth server, the second as a terminal.

the problem you're seeing is that some of the Trio3D registers
aren't getting zeroed correctly, so when you switch to graphics mode
the screen clipped on the left.  if you have 1Mb of memory then you
can get 1024x768x8.

download everything just like normal; ignore the replication.  once
you've done that put the following at the end of the indicated
functions:
(i would post a diff but my array is offline)..

/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/s3generic.c:init()
	vga->crt[0x90] = 0x0;
	vga->crt[0x91] = 0x0;

/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/s3generic.c:load()
	vgaxo( Crtx, 0x90, vga->crt[0x90] );
	vgaxo( Crtx, 0x91, vga->crt[0x91] );

'mk install' and you're set.  doesn't seem to bust regular s3 Trio64
AFAIK.

--eric

* [9fans] Video drivers
@ 2001-03-26  8:45 Patrick Dubroy
From: Patrick Dubroy @ 2001-03-26  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I am trying to install Plan 9 on an HP Vectra VL 5/166, which has
onboard video in the form of the S3 Trio64 V2/DX (86C775). To get rio to
start I added a line to vgadb, underneath the others for the 86C775
chipset:

0xC0048="HP/S3 86C775 Video BIOS. Version 1.01.04-H2"

And rio starts up fine, except about 3 quarters of the way across the
screen I get a big set of vertical colour stripes, and then the screen
starts to repeat itself.

On the floppy I have chosen generic Multisync monitor @ 65Hz, and I am
running only at 640x480, 8-bit colour.

So has anyone had similar problems with this card? From the hardware
compatibility lists it seems that the card was tested in previous
releases, but not the most recent release. Maybe it would be best to try
and find a new card?

Thanks,

Pat

--
Patrick Dubroy
pat AT dubroy DOT com

public key @ http://dubroy.com/pgp/ or email pgp-key AT dubroy DOT com
fingerprint = B1F5 E738 68FA FC9E 8826 76A6 2162 752C EE61 851E