* [9fans] Uh oh, disk problems.
@ 2001-04-11  0:33 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-04-11  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Recently, I saw these strange errors, written to the `console' on
my machine:

wrenread failed: i/o error
wrenwrite failed: i/o error
Inil00/51+

This set off a mental red flag.  `disk/kfscmd check' produces the
following:

wrenread failed: i/o error
wrenread failed: i/o error
Inil00/51+

(the above written to the console, ie, as ^T^Tp would be.)

term% disk/kfscmd check
checking file system: main
check: "/29000/include/": xtag: p null
check: "/960/": xtag: p null
check free list
lo = 220699; hi = 667811
   28549 files
  667811 blocks in the file system
  220693 used blocks
  447113 free blocks
       5 missing blocks
   38413 maximum qid path
missing: 24702
missing: 24701
missing: 24700
missing: 14199
missing: 14198
term%

What I'm really concerned about is wether or not my disk is going
bad.  Can anyone confirm that this is or isn't the case?  If not,
I'll be very happy, but what corrective action should I take?
Sorry if these questions seem naive, but disk errors make me
skittish.  Thanks a lot!

	- Dan C.

(ps- It'd be really nice if there were a searchable interface to
the 9fans archives....)

* [9fans] Re: Uh oh, disk problems.
@ 2001-04-11  2:30 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-04-11  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Dan Cross wrote:

> What I'm really concerned about is wether or not my disk is going
> bad.  Can anyone confirm that this is or isn't the case?  If not,
> I'll be very happy, but what corrective action should I take?
> Sorry if these questions seem naive, but disk errors make me
> skittish.  Thanks a lot!

'skittish'? They should make you quake in your boots...

You'll want to pull your data off the drive. Then get the manufacturers
low-level format software and wipe the beastie. Then re-load and note
behaviour. If the particular regions of the drive are bad the low level
should catch it. If it's hardware then the problems will continue. In the
unlikely event that the locations are still the same after the low level
this means the head positioning hardware is having a positioning problem.
The point being, if you still have problems then trash the drive.

       To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. G. is
       (x+1)-ecrable.
                                         Edgar Allan Poe

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
                           -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-

* Re: [9fans] Re: Uh oh, disk problems.
@ 2001-04-11  3:00   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-04-11  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.1010410212733.14587W-100000@einstein.ssz.com> you write:
>'skittish'? They should make you quake in your boots...

Well, the first thing I did was copy the data elsewhere, so it's less
quaking and more being annoyed.

My reaction, if the drive really is having a problem, is likely going
to be to call up IBM and say, ``Hey there, my machine's still under
warranty?  Super.  Please send me a new drive.  Thank you!''  :-)

	- Dan C.