* [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-12  4:53 Taj Khattra
From: Taj Khattra @ 2001-04-12  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

on 14 jul 2000, forsyth wrote:
> >>What I'd like to see...  mk for Unix :)  Anyone here who has attempted to port
> >>it over (along with rc of course)?
>
> i should be making a portable version of mk available shortly from a Vita Nuova site.
> it's the version used to build Inferno on Unix and Windows.

has this portable version of mk been released yet ?
thanks

-taj

* Re: [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-23  8:41 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-23  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Taj Khattra" <taj.khattra@pobox.com> a crit dans le message news:
20010412045343.634.qmail@infidel.intergate.ca...

> > i should be making a portable version of mk available shortly from a
Vita Nuova site.
> > it's the version used to build Inferno on Unix and Windows.

brave man karl.  i was gonna port it to inferno, but was told
NOT to attempt it 'cos it's a real mess and doesn't address the
problem correctly.

bonus points:  guess my source

* Re: [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-27 16:55             ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-04-27 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

damn i thought it was scotty from star trek
came up with that rule.

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Boyd Roberts wrote:

> > Plus allow plenty of room for the next upgrade.
>
> john mackin used to have this theory called:
>
>    estimating by three's
>
> you think it'll take 1 hour, so say 3 hours.
>
> " 1 day = 3 days
> " 1 month = 3 months
>
> etc

--sam

* Re: [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-27 14:41             ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-04-27 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Boyd Roberts wrote:
> john mackin used to have this theory called:
>    estimating by three's
> you think it'll take 1 hour, so say 3 hours.

My boss when I worked in a small interactive graphics software
house had made a similar observation.  However, it doesn't work
right unless you make an honest stab at estimating how long you
really think the job should take.  *Then* the supervisor should
multiply by three.

* Re: [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-27  0:08           ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-27  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-26 16:40         ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-04-26 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-24 12:31 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-24 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <forsyth@vitanuova.com>
> yes, at least for Inferno we know it's fine on the 2000 Professional clients
> (at least those we tried -- you can't take anything for granted) ...

it is, modulo that it's relying on that house of cards known as '2000.

* Re: [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-24 12:28     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-24 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <gwyn@arl.army.mil>

> Both sam and Inferno work just fine on Windows 2000 Professional.

yeah, i understand why i have problems.  it's the '2000 memory
[mis]management that kicks in and randomly breaks stuff.

you'd think 64Mb would be enough, but no.  if it take 2+ months
to get a 3com PCMCIA dongle there's no way i'm even going to
go and bother to look for memory -- not in this country.

nor am i gonna let anyone take a vaio apart to upgrade.  to fix
a liquid spill that took out several keys sony vaio service _broke_
the motherboard.  when i shipped it, everything worked except
a few keys.  they told me some bullshit story about how the
liquid had the same properties of hydroflouric acid and that
had killed the motherboard -- nonsense.

64Mb?  that nearly as big as an RM-03 pack.

last time i asked:

    is this [CAT-5] cable crossed or not

some kid started to give me the 3rd degree about what i wanted
to do etc ...  so i told him to answer the question:

    oui ou non

nope too hard.  better off to have an argument.  i think that's
why my french is so good.  years of arguing.

like riggs [_lethal weapon_] says [approx quote]:

    thing get get complex all by themselves

* Re: [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-24 11:08 ` Nikolai Saoukh
From: Nikolai Saoukh @ 2001-04-24 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> yes, at least for Inferno we know it's fine on the 2000 Professional clients
> (at least those we tried -- you can't take anything for granted) but i think
> there might be a problem with 2000 Server [SP1], or so we've been told.

inferno works just fine on win200 professional, but
fails on Windows XP (a.k.a. Whistler) Professional Beta 2 --
GUI shows just noise in window.

* Re: [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-24  9:57 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-24  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes, at least for Inferno we know it's fine on the 2000 Professional clients
(at least those we tried -- you can't take anything for granted) but i think
there might be a problem with 2000 Server [SP1], or so we've been told.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1698 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: Re: [9fans] mk
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:01:30 GMT

@ 2001-04-24  9:01   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-04-24  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-23 19:28 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-23 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
> while(){
> fortune /lib/words
> }

it'd be cheaper to get a bunch of linux hacks to type/hack away.

they might not produce anything useful, but it would be huge.

* Re: [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-23 15:43 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-04-23 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-23  8:45 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-23  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<forsyth@vitanuova.com> a crit dans le message news:
20010412145053.0DFFF199F6@mail.cse.psu.edu...
> i did everything except actually release it, but that should
> happen shortly, once i go round the loop of target systems
> once more.

i'd love a version for window's 2000.  i want to write
limbo and have a web browser and the whole deal.  plan 9
can't do that for me.  but inferno on '2000 would do
exactly what i need.

re: charon -- i won't use it.  i've tried and read the code.

i really think [on plan 9] that:

   mk CONF='foobar' foobar

is just stupid or how ever it goes.

in the old days:

    make foobar

would do it even though the concept of 'mk' (9th Ed?) is
much better.  why type stuff twice?  it maybe fine if you
have a qwerty keyboard, but not all of us do, nor want one.

btw: sam doesn't work on '2000.  i suspect it's the 'memory
     [mis]management' on '2000.

* Re: [9fans] mk
@ 2001-04-12 14:51 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-12 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i did everything except actually release it, but that should
happen shortly, once i go round the loop of target systems
once more.

i can tell anyone who needs it where to find a preliminary version.
it's not just mk but includes some other things as well.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1970 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: [9fans] mk
Date: 12 Apr 2001 04:53:43 -0000