* [9fans] Terminals
@ 2001-04-12 17:40 Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-12 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

OK, we're trying to setup terminals.  Should he be booting off the
fileserver? Also, are the bootars supposed to be set to il?  And in the
termrc, it can contain multiple ip definitions for each terminal, right??

Thanks

* Re: [9fans] Terminals
@ 2001-04-13  1:33 ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2001-04-13  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 wrote:
> OK, we're trying to setup terminals.  Should he be booting off the
> fileserver? Also, are the bootars supposed to be set to il?  And in the
> termrc, it can contain multiple ip definitions for each terminal, right??
> Thanks

My dhcp server runs on my auth server.  So when my terminals
DHCP they get their kernel from the auth server.  auth gets
its own kernel from its local disk but boots with a grungy
bootargs line like:
 il -g 192.168.123.254 ether /net/ether0 192.168.123.98 255.255.255.0 0
\
 192.168.123.99 192.168.123.98

where .98 is auth and .99 is the FS so auth gets its filesystem
from the FS.  Auth still has a full filesystem on its disk just
in case FS goes away.

My core cpu server boots via a floppy into dhcp and gets its
kernel from auth, but doesn't run dhcp itself by using a switch
in cpurc.

--eric

* Re: [9fans] Terminals
@ 2001-04-13  2:45   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-04-13  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <3AD65782.CEDDA44B@san.rr.com> you write:
>My core cpu server boots via a floppy into dhcp and gets its
>kernel from auth, but doesn't run dhcp itself by using a switch
>in cpurc.

Speaking of which....  Why doesn't the default cpurc do a switch
on $sysname so that one doesn't have to modify it after installation
to run the auth server services on the auth server, and the
``normal'' CPU server services on ``normal'' CPU servers (usually
by adding a switch ;-)?

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Terminals
@ 2001-04-16 20:53   ` Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-16 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Dorman; +Cc: 9fans

Eric thanks for the info on about setting up terminals but im still having
a problem with it.
I setup the boot disk as you specified and changed the ndb to accomodate
for the two new machines, what happens now is that it times out, bootp
does, upon boot.
I am not using DHCP, is it somewhat different in that manner?
and also when i direct the bootf to /386/pc and pccpu those files dont
exist on the actual fileserver.
Do i have to compile these files?
Also im starting to think im going to need an ip/ipconfig line in my
termrc, is  it the termrc on the fileserver?

thanks in advance

* fs customization (was: Re: [9fans] Terminals)
@ 2001-04-18 13:26     ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2001-04-18 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dan wrote:
> >My core cpu server boots via a floppy into dhcp and gets its
> >kernel from auth, but doesn't run dhcp itself by using a switch
> >in cpurc.
>
> Speaking of which....  Why doesn't the default cpurc do a switch
> on $sysname so that one doesn't have to modify it after installation
> to run the auth server services on the auth server, and the
> ``normal'' CPU server services on ``normal'' CPU servers (usually
> by adding a switch ;-)?

Speaking of which... When I set up my fileserver, to boot the cpu/auth
server from it (kernel from local disk, filesystem from fileserver),
I made the same changes to /rc/bin/service(.auth) as I did when I
set up the auth server on its local disk. Is that correct?
Or do people set this up differently?
(The changes I made will probably cause a second 'ordinary' cpu
 server to fail, I assume)

On a related note: what about the ssh host key: if I use the fs,
all cpu servers share the same key? Or is this part of the same
switch?

To make the question more general: how do I customize the file
server such that I can have multiple cpu servers booting from it
(by which I mean: using its filesystem, the cpu kernels may still
come from local disk or boot flop).
Is there a document describing this that I missed?

Axel.