* Re: [9fans] is 1G enough?
@ 2001-05-08 17:26 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-05-08 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

One gigabyte is plenty for Plan 9.
The ext2fs server is part of the package,
but not officially supported.  It's used
in the install and is in /sys/lib/pcdist/cmd/ext2fs.
I made a few minor tweaks to keep up with apparent
changes to the EXT2 file system and to the Plan 9
disk interface since ext2fs was originally written
(by someone in France for second edition).  It does
read-write, although since I haven't played with it
much myself, the installation uses it in read-only mode.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] is 1G enough?
@ 2001-05-08 13:23 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-05-08 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue May  8 04:37:27 EDT 2001, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> The on-board ethernet chip is a Realtek 8319; is that supported?  If not,
> I have 3com PCMCIA card that ought to work, but it'd be nice to use the one
> that's on board.

Do you mean the Realtek RTL8139? If so, there is no driver but I did start
to write one a while ago. However, the datasheet and programming guide are a bit
of a joke and I looked at both the Linux and FreeBSD drivers only to find they
both had lots of comments and workarounds for chip bugs; the disturbing thing
was that the bug sets handled by the two drivers didn't seem to intersect much.

For the moment use the PCMCIA card to get going then you can finish the driver...

--jim

* [9fans] is 1G enough?
@ 2001-05-08  8:31 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2001-05-08  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings 9fans.

I have a new laptop that I want to leave some space on to try and install
Plan 9.  Is 1 Gig enough?  The majority of the space will be devoted
to Linux, so I assume I could use the e2fs server to get to more disk
space while running Plan 9 if I need it.

The on-board ethernet chip is a Realtek 8319; is that supported?  If not,
I have 3com PCMCIA card that ought to work, but it'd be nice to use the one
that's on board.

Is the e2fs server part of the package these days, or would I have to go &
get it?  And is it read/write or read-only?

Thanks for any help, and again, thanks to the Bell Labs folks for
releasing Plan 9.
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins --- Pioneer Consulting Ltd.	arnold@skeeve.com
P.O. Box 354		Home Phone: +972  8 979-0381	Fax: +1 603 761-6761