* Re: Re[2]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19  8:29 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-05-19  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> in windows if you select some text and press backspace you delete the
> selected text. If you select some text in acme it replaces the current
> text with a backspace so it also deletes the character to the left of
> your selected text. So, as you must do, I select one less then the
> ones I want to delete.

type "esc", but beware that cuts it
rather than deleting it (i.e., it ends
up in the snarf buffer).

russ

* Re[4]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19  8:44 ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-19  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox

Hello Russ,

RC> type "esc", but beware that cuts it
RC> rather than deleting it (i.e., it ends
RC> up in the snarf buffer).

well you guys sure chose some crazy things :-)

Is it that the people who made the choices used different keyboards to
the WinTel world?

I've often breated my keyboard for not having such sensible keys as
cut copy and paste already on the keytops. To then move to one where
Insert, Delete just display graphics makes me curious.

If not noticed what function key support is like in plan9.
Assigning cut snarf paste new etc. to whichever function key I want
would be cool.

--
Best regards,
 Matt                            mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

* Re: Re[2]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19 20:19     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-05-19 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: "Matt H" <matt@proweb.co.uk>
> in windows if you select some text and press backspace you delete the
> selected text. If you select some text in acme it replaces the current
> text with a backspace so it also deletes the character to the left of
> your selected text. So, as you must do, I select one less then the
> ones I want to delete.

no, you hit cut.

plan 9 gets it right, windows gets it wrong.

plan 9 replaces selected text by the typed text.  if the replacement
text is a backspace then it does exactly as advertised.  ie. there is
no special case for backspace.  special cases are a curse.

consider how drag and drop works on windows with the file mangler.
it does a copy if you drag from a: to c: but it does a move if you
drag and drop on c: -- totally counterintuitive.  it would be like
if cp(1) made an excutive decision based on source and target.

* Re: Re[2]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19 17:07     ` Quinn Dunkan
From: Quinn Dunkan @ 2001-05-19 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> CL> What are other peoples most common acme 'gotchas'?
>
> my other one is one I'm learning to deal with
>
> in windows if you select some text and press backspace you delete the
> selected text. If you select some text in acme it replaces the current
> text with a backspace so it also deletes the character to the left of
> your selected text. So, as you must do, I select one less then the
> ones I want to delete.

Nowadays, I get surprised by Linux and Windows when backspace doesn't
delete backwards like it's supposed to.  Plan9's behaviour works nicely
for deleting words.  Otherwise, I've learned to use a cut chord, which
only removes that which is selected.  Since you're using the mouse
for selecting anyway, it's easy to just cut out your text.

> functioning cursor keys would still be a speed benefit.

They do function!  Oh, you mean functioning *your* way ;)

My acme gotchas:

Deleting text with backspace replaces the snarf buffer.  I often cut out
something I want, and then do some editing to prepare a place for it, and wind
up deleting a space or something, at which point my paste doesn't give what I
expected.  I don't think the snarf buffer should be quite so ephemeral, but it
probably also has something to do with how I work (i.e., if I want to snarf
something, I snarf, and if I want to delete it, I delete).

New windows rarely appear where I want them.  I gather the heuristic is
optimized for a particular pattern of use, and I recall seeing that
documented somewhere, but can't find it now.

* Re[2]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19  7:54   ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-19  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Locke