* [9fans] setting sysname properly on DHCP systems
@ 2001-05-20  4:53 Mike Haertel
From: Mike Haertel @ 2001-05-20  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there any reason not to put ip/ipconfig *before* ndb/cs
in /bin/termrc, so that ndb/cs can properly set the sysname
on systems that get their IP address by DHCP?

* Re: [9fans] setting sysname properly on DHCP systems
@ 2001-05-21 16:40 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-05-21 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Mike Haertel wrote:
> Is there any reason not to put ip/ipconfig *before* ndb/cs
> in /bin/termrc, so that ndb/cs can properly set the sysname
> on systems that get their IP address by DHCP?

I don't know if this is the same question, but:
What does one do if the hostname (within the domain)
is purely a creation of the host and not known on
the "outboard" side of the internet interface adapter?
A DSL provider I use takes this approach, as well as
using DHCP for other aspects of the interface, which
also seems to be Microsoft's preferred method (i.e.,
it's not going to get any better as time goes on).