* Re: [9fans] ls -m
@ 2001-05-19 23:32 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-05-19 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Why the brackets?  It looks ok, but seems to makes it gratuitously harder
> to parse the output.

Serves me right for trying to change the subject.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1477 bytes --]

From: Scott Schwartz <schwartz@bio.cse.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] ls -m
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 18:45:42 -0400

@ 2001-05-20 16:29 ` Jon Snader
From: Jon Snader @ 2001-05-20 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 07:32:57PM -0400, rob pike wrote:
> > Why the brackets?  It looks ok, but seems to makes it gratuitously harder
> > to parse the output.
>
> Serves me right for trying to change the subject.

No good deed goes unpunished.

* Re: [9fans] ls -m
@ 2001-05-20  0:31 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-05-20  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So I understand the objection but I still think it makes sense to
> present the muid differently.

just need to find a clear but simple way to represent it.

* [9fans] ls -m
@ 2001-05-20  0:16 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-05-20  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The [muid] format was not chosen at random.  I was worried about
ls -lm producing three uids.  Just printing another uid after the gid
would be confusing: two make a couple but three are a lot to keep
straight intuitively.  I wanted ls -m to be useful without -l, but to
have a format that reminds you of its output.  (Quick: what are the
units in ls -s?)  I also considered the possibility of the muid
showing up in other places, such as history(1), in which a purely
positional mnemonic wouldn't be available.  As it stands, if you
see [muid] anywhere, you have a clue what it means.  I chose a
bracket format because it is a parenthetical remark about the file;
it contains no permission information, for example.

@ 2001-05-19 22:50     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-05-19 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: "Scott Schwartz" <schwartz@bio.cse.psu.edu>
> Why the brackets?  It looks ok, but seems to makes it gratuitously harder
> to parse the output.

good point.

* [9fans] ls -m
@ 2001-05-19 22:45   ` Scott Schwartz