* Re: [9fans] TELNET from Remote Linux machine?
@ 2001-06-04 12:14 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-06-04 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsavage, 9fans

That's odd, I would expect it to be saying

user: rsavage
challenge: 76540
response:

and not password.  It only asks for passwords from a select
group of users, those in the group 'noworld':
	grep :noworld: /adm/users

If you can figure out why you're getting password: please tell
us.  You can bug telnetd with a few syslog's to figure out
what's going on.  I'm at a loss.  Telnet has fallen out of
use here since ssh but we definitely don't see what you see.

* Re: [9fans] TELNET from Remote Linux machine?
       [not found] <200106041213.IAA26554@storm.nando.net>
@ 2001-06-04 12:29 ` Rory Savage
From: Rory Savage @ 2001-06-04 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I will let you know.  I'm at work now, and can't access the system because
it's powered off.  Thanks for the quick response :)

--

Rory Savage, Senior Systems Administrator
Nando Media: www.nandomedia.com

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, it was written:

@ 2001-06-04  8:48 Rory Savage
From: Rory Savage @ 2001-06-04  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am new the Plan9 universe, so please don't flame me.  Anyhow, I got
IP based networking configured and working, and I was able to start
tcp services.  What I want/need is to have the ability to telnet into
the CPU Server from a remote linux machine.  I seem to be having an
authtentication problem.

When I telnet in to (try to) this is what happens;

$ telnet 192.168.1.21

Trying 192.168.1.21...
Connected to 192.168.1.21.
Escape character is '^]'.
user: rsavage
password: password: password: password: password: authentication
failure
Connection closed by foreign host.

What am I doing wrong?  The funny thing is I don't even have a
password on the system as it is, and when I try, I can't seem to make
it work.

I ran /bin/aux/listen il
      /bin/aux/listen tcp

      /bin/auth/keyfs

      and I got an error message

      ``can't read /dev/key, please enter machine key''

But /dev/key is owned by user `rsavage' in which I have started up the
system as.

Any ideas?    I wish there was a detail book on Plan9 :)

Thanks!!