* Re: [9fans] unfair?
@ 2001-06-11 21:07 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-06-11 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Laura Creighton <lac@cd.chalmers.se>:
>But I am having serious problems here in Sweden finding hardware to run
>a new file server on.  My hardware dealer, who loves me because I buy so
>much stuff from him to run linux on, just phoned.  I could not get him
>to believe that I wanted older hardware than the stuff he was going to
>give me FOR FREE.  Anders and I need to go to the used computer store
>to get something we can run.  Maybe hardware is just so much easier to
>come by in the USA that you didn't notice that it is not so freely
>available other places.

I'd like some details on that. Other than the Adaptec story which we've
gone over many times, what else is a problem?

* Re: [9fans] unfair?
@ 2001-06-12 22:27               ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2001-06-12 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-12 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ... you'd be one hell of a shlemazel if you got hit by a
> PCMCIA modem on 5th ave.

i dunno.  it would probably be supported by plan 9.  i wonder
what the terminal velocity of a PCMCIA card is?

enquiring minds want to know (i can believe i typed that).

* Re: [9fans] unfair?
@ 2001-06-12 22:15 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010612185001.98E8D19A43@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>> For that matter, there are more guys selling hot dogs on 5th ave, but
>> the idea of anyone being hotdogged to death is just, well, gross.
>
>But it might be ok if they were bunned to death, particularly around 23rd st.

Depends on the Avenue.  Personally, death by hotdog paraphenalia doesn't
seem that auspicious to me.

>(Hail Eris!)

Sure you weren't in Union Square two days ago?  :-)

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] unfair?
@ 2001-06-12 22:09           ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <11d101c0f37a$2e7f7ac0$e8b7c6d4@SOMA> you write:
>i never limited it to people selling them.
>
>PCMCIA modem 'ticker tape' parade?  there's a lotta offices out
>there with a lotta laptops.

Okay, I've have to drop the professional pretense for a minute and act
like I'm at home.  This is way, WAY, off topic now.  I won't post any
more in the thread because we're just joking around now, but, just to
give you a taste of local life....  ;-)

Whadaya think this is Brooklyn or something?  Ticker tape parade?
What, are you one of the Yankee's you think they'd care?  Those'd
be bricks, anyway, so fuggedaboudit (for the Yankees in Brooklyn,
too!).

Now, LES, that'd be a different story.  But 5th ave?  C'mon.  Don't
be stupid; you'd be one hell of a shlemazel if you got hit by a
PCMCIA modem on 5th ave.  Ketchup is another story.

	- Dan ``Bring back the Dodgers!'' C.

(Oh yeah, quit kvetching about the Sarbett's hotdogs, too, wstan;
they're terrible.  Hebrew National or Nathans, take your pick.  Okay,
Papaya King or Gray's, too.  I can send you some; do you want for
that?)

(ps- Actually, I kind of like the Yankees, but I'm not from Brooklyn,
so I'm allowed.  The Mets; they broke my heart.)

* Re: [9fans] unfair?
@ 2001-06-12 21:19 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-06-12 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I sure do miss those Sabrett's hot dogs...

--
Bill                             William Staniewicz
                                 Amsterdam, NL

* Re: [9fans] unfair?
@ 2001-06-12 19:59         ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-12 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-06-12 18:49 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-06-12 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-06-12 18:45       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <10e701c0f357$b13b6d20$e8b7c6d4@SOMA> you write:
>> The guys with fake Rolex's and badly recorded `pirate' movies
>> on VHS would probably finish you off before you got to the
>> computer store section in the 30's.
>
>not yet.  not ever.

The joke was that you had said you'd be stoned to death with PCMCIA
modems walking down 5th ave, but there are far more guys selling fake
Rolex's (lately, swiss army watches too...Who knew?) and ripped off
movies on VHS than guys selling computer parts.  If anybody's going to
stone anybody to death with anything on 5th ave, it'll be cheap
watches, not modems.

@ 2001-06-12 15:52     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-12 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

       [not found] ` <0cc801c0f2c3$516ff490$e8b7c6d4@SOMA>
@ 2001-06-12 14:20   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <0cc801c0f2c3$516ff490$e8b7c6d4@SOMA> you write:

@ 2001-06-11 17:03 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-06-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lac, 9fans, prosotto, lac

Not unhappy, just miffed that the staement missed the point.
We port to machines because we need to use those machines, not
because they are popular or readily available in other countries.
The same is true for devices.  Most of our machines (not including
my 100 MHz 486) are pretty new.  We buy about a machine a month
usually to get access to faster CPU's or nicer laptops.  When
we find one that meets the need, we tend to stick with that line.
For example, most of our laptops are IBM's because, even though
we don't understand the soft modems, we love the keyboards and screens.

However, about 100 new models appear every year from the major
manufacturers; IBM, Compaq, Sony, Hitachi, and the various board houses.
Each have their ideosyncracies that have to be ported to.  We definitely
don't have the budget or time to buy one of each and do the port.  In fact,
the company is broke and trying to get those of us that can to go on pension
so that it can afford to pay the rest.

Unfortunately, our needs in hardware don't match what is popular or
most readily available.

One of the reasons (though not the only one) we released Plan 9 was to
get someone else to could cover what we can't.  We're even
worse off with devices.  In general, we port to a new device only when
we need to.  Luckily we've slowly been getting stuff back from the outside
and including it in ships.

* [9fans] unfair?
@ 2001-06-11 16:10 Laura Creighton
       [not found] ` <0cc801c0f2c3$516ff490$e8b7c6d4@SOMA>
From: Laura Creighton @ 2001-06-11 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, prosotto; +Cc: lac

Huh?  What are you unhappy about? I think that it is perfectly splendid
that you don't have to race to the hardware store every year or so
like the rest of us poor slobs because the software bloat is such we
need more hardware constantly to be able to continue to do what we did
yesterday before the libraries got so much bigger.  I am trying to
popularise plan 9 in part because I want to be able to not spend all my
money on hardware as well.  And, God knows, the people who think that
all software has to be made by 1127 and not by other parties such as
themselves need a kick.  If not being able to run plan 9 doesn't do it
for them, I have no idea what will ... I think it is a marvellous plan.

But I am having serious problems here in Sweden finding hardware to run
a new file server on.  My hardware dealer, who loves me because I buy so
much stuff from him to run linux on, just phoned.  I could not get him
to believe that I wanted older hardware than the stuff he was going to
give me FOR FREE.  Anders and I need to go to the used computer store
to get something we can run.  Maybe hardware is just so much easier to
come by in the USA that you didn't notice that it is not so freely
available other places.

This is not your fault.  Don't you know me well enough by now to know that
I am not blaming you?  When we get our new fileserver up, which will have to
wait until after the European Union, which is having a major meeting in my
town this week, goes home, I will fix this problem by doing a vmware port
if I can get it to work unless somebody has already done it by then.  In the
mean time ... well 10 years is an exageration.  I'm sorry for that.
AND THE BITSY PORT IS WAY COOL.

Forgiven?
Laura