* Re: [9fans] Wireless lan cards for the bitsy.
@ 2001-06-12 14:40 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-06-12 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it works well against casual sniffing.  Unfortunately, if you
can inject packets into the network by some other means, e.g.
pinging in via a wired net, then the only thing you need to
totally circumvent WEP is a few gig of storage (actually
8 gig will let you do it all).  Without the ability to
probe, it's possible but a lot harder.  It is true that
once you've guessed  the pattern that a single packet is
xor'd with, you can inject packets forever.

The committee is working on a new standard that might be
achievable on the current cards (the wavelan ones at least
are reprgrammable) and one that actually has been reviewed
by someone that understands security.  Unfortunately, they
seem to be stuck in wanting to use a single code as both
a secure MAC and as a ECC.  Since the 2 uses require very
different properties of the code, I expect they'll be fighting
over it for a while.

* Re: [9fans] Wireless lan cards for the bitsy.
@ 2001-06-12 18:39   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-12 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yes, but that really doesn't matter because the crypto used in
> 802.11 is, to quote Boyd, an ``unmitigated disaster.''  (Sorry,
> Boyd.)

quote away.

i'm quite comfortable with unmitigated disasters. <laugh>

* Re: [9fans] Wireless lan cards for the bitsy.
@ 2001-06-12 17:08           ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-06-12 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

----<snip>----

> >We're using the ORiNOCO access point with 2 card slots; I'm not
> >sure of the exact model number but our systems guys tell me that
> >there's only one with 2 slots, and when I looked at it a few
> >minutes ago it said, ``WaveACCESS Central Office Router'' on it.
>
> There are three key ORiNOCO products, AFAIK:
>
>         - RG1000        Residential Gateway, one slot, *external* LAN
>         - AP1000        LAN gateway, two slots & one local LAN
>         - AP500         LAN gateway, one slot & one local LAN
>
> The RG1000 is aimed at having *no* local wiring, and thus provides all
> the gateway capabilities one might want at the *edge* of a home or small
> business LAN - as long as the local LAN is entirely wireless.  I'm using
> the AP-1000, with a separate Linksys Etherswitch for my gateway to the
> outside world.  My LAN has a mix of wired and wireless segments.

After looking over all of the options it think the AP500 and
Wavelan Gold combo looks like the best solution for the money.
thanks for the info.

--sam

* Re: [9fans] Wireless lan cards for the bitsy.
@ 2001-06-12 15:41         ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <200106121444.KAA04473@augusta.math.psu.edu> you write:
>We're using the ORiNOCO access point with 2 card slots; I'm not
>sure of the exact model number but our systems guys tell me that
>there's only one with 2 slots, and when I looked at it a few
>minutes ago it said, ``WaveACCESS Central Office Router'' on it.

Ahh, Paul Lustgarten tells me in private mail that the ORiNOCO
AP1000 LAN gateway matches the description I gave above; Paul's
note follows (reprinted with permission).  Thanks, Paul!

	- Dan C.

---
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:13:36 -0400
To: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
From: Paul C Lustgarten <plus@cosym.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Wireless lan cards for the bitsy.

Dan,

[Forward or recount to 9fans as appropriate]

@ 2001-06-12 14:44       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-06-12 14:31 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <E159jfd-000NKS-0W@anchor-post-32.mail.demon.net> you write:
>Not quite.  It depends what encryption you want.  A lot of the cheap
>base stations are only 64 bit, or at least they are by the time they
>are neutered and delivered to across the pond.  I've seen both 128 and
>64 bit quoted for the D-Link.  It's also not always clear whether the
>base stations fall back from 128 to 64 in the presence of a 64 bit
>client (e.g.  ORiNOCO siliver pc card).

Yes, but that really doesn't matter because the crypto used in
802.11 is, to quote Boyd, an ``unmitigated disaster.''  (Sorry,
Boyd.)

See the ISAAC group at Berkeley's paper on how they cracked WEP.
http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/

Unfortunately, the results are not just theoretical, but very
practical; I wouldn't advise anyone to depend on the crypto in
802.11 for defense against anything other than casual sniffing.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Wireless lan cards for the bitsy.
@ 2001-06-12  6:28 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-06-12  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Not quite.  It depends what encryption you want.  A lot of the cheap
base stations are only 64 bit, or at least they are by the time they
are neutered and delivered to across the pond.  I've seen both 128 and
64 bit quoted for the D-Link.  It's also not always clear whether the
base stations fall back from 128 to 64 in the presence of a 64 bit
client (e.g.  ORiNOCO siliver pc card).

Note also that whilst for a residential gateway you want one which
does DHCP and NAT, some do this even if you have the access point
(i.e.  ethernet) version.  There are reasons for this emanating from
Seattle, so it's worth looking out for as you might wish to avoid the
limitations of NAT.

As for which pc card to buy, there are many which are straight wavelan
rebadges.  There are also a lot which use the Prism2 silicon, not the
Hermes (wavelan) silicon/firmware.  Whilst these are clealy related,
there are a few hacks needs to support Prism2, which the Plan 9 driver
does not have.

How do you tell? Well the following URL points to the FreeBSD pccard
catalogue, or at least the revision history for it. It changes very fast at
the moment, so choose the tip revision (1.98.2.22 at time of writing).

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/defaults/pccard.conf

In the file there is a section entitled

########## wi ##########

in which all the Prism2 and Hermes cards are listed. There is a quite
detailed product name, and a config line. If the config line ends
0x10000 its a Prism2 card. Don't buy it, or better, buy it, fix the
driver, and post it.

Nigel

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2305 bytes --]

From: "David P. Boswell" <dave@daves.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu, sam@ducksworth.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:23:14 -0600 (MDT)

I am using a D-Link DWL-1000AP.  $250 at the local store.  Any 802.11B
access point should work fine.

From: Sam Ducksworth <sam@ducksworth.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

@ 2001-06-12  6:12 F.J.Ballesteros
From: F.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-06-12  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dell TrueMobile is also supported, since it's actually a
Lucent WaveLAN (i.e. ORINOCO).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2573 bytes --]

From: "David P. Boswell" <dave@daves.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu, sam@ducksworth.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:23:14 -0600 (MDT)

From: Sam Ducksworth <sam@ducksworth.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

@ 2001-06-12  1:23       ` David P. Boswell
From: David P. Boswell @ 2001-06-12  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, sam

From: Sam Ducksworth <sam@ducksworth.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

@ 2001-06-11 20:57 ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-06-11 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thanks

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> We've been using an Orinoco Gold card.  It still identifies
> itself as a WaveLAN.

--sam

* Re: [9fans] Wireless lan cards for the bitsy.
@ 2001-06-11 20:56     ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-06-11 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Dan Cross wrote:

> I used the ORiNOCO card in mine (even though the card still says
> Lucent Wavelan on it).  It's the only supported wireless LAN card
> that I know of

what are you using for your gateway? (i.e. ORiNOCO Residential
Gateway RG1000 )

> 	- Dan C.

--sam

* Re: [9fans] Wireless lan cards for the bitsy.
@ 2001-06-11 19:38 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-06-11 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-06-11 17:33   ` Dan Cross