* Re: [9fans] flashfs timeout after a time jump
@ 2001-07-12  8:59 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-07-12  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I need the echo to set the date in the bitsy.

The point is that the seconds count since the epoch
need 4 bytes now, and I'd still want my files to
have real mtimes. I thought of jumping back but then
I noticed that even one year of seconds would need
4 bytes. The error seems to be caused because mtimes
get sent using 3 bytes and not 4, if I'm not mistaken.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1986 bytes --]

From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] flashfs timeout after a time jump
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:32:09 GMT

nemo@gsyc.escet.urjc.es wrote:
>         If I echo to /dev/time and make the time jump into the future I
> get a broken channel message as soon as I try to write to the flashfs;

You can fix that by jumping back into the past just before you did
the original echo and then don't do the echo.

* Re: [9fans] flashfs timeout after a time jump
@ 2001-07-12  8:32 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-07-12  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-07-12  6:49 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-07-12  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

:  as a general principle, mucking around with time once a machine
:  is booted to a usuable state is fraught with peril.

ok, but what do you do after a suspend? You'd need to
adjust the time by some mean.

* Re: [9fans] flashfs timeout after a time jump
@ 2001-07-11 23:10 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-07-11 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <nemo@gsyc.escet.urjc.es>

@ 2001-07-11 17:01 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-07-11 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

	If I echo to /dev/time and make the time jump into the future I
get a broken channel message as soon as I try to write to the flashfs;
i.e. I've to reboot.

Reads seems to be ok though. Any clue or any pointer where to start
looking at it?

AFAIK, the flashfs is not hanging up due to time outs and the kernel
routines still use MACH(0) ticks, not tod.

This happens to me after a resume because I'm now adjusting the bitsy tod
according to the sleeping time; but it also happens if I manually
`echo NNNNN >/dev/time'. Is it just me? Or other bitsies  exhibit
the same behaviour too?

thanks