* [9fans] cirrus logic vcard problem
@ 2001-07-20 19:06 Dean Ash
From: Dean Ash @ 2001-07-20 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

>you can try adding the
>identification info in the following section in /lib/vgadb
>
>ctlr
>	0xC0039="CL-GD546x Laguna PCI VGA BIOS Version 1.71D" # ZT5550 SBC
>	0xC0039="CL-GD546x Laguna PCI VGA BIOS Version 1.61a" # HP Kayak
>	link=vga
>	ctlr=clgd546x linear=1
>	hwgc=clgd546xhwgc

Hmm I just checked in /lib/vgadb and the lines suggested by jmk to put in
are contained on lines 180-185. I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of
is that the bios lines are specific to the respective computers at the end
of the line.

Dean

* Re: [9fans] cirrus logic vcard problem
@ 2001-07-20 19:15 ` Quinn Dunkan
From: Quinn Dunkan @ 2001-07-20 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >you can try adding the
> >identification info in the following section in /lib/vgadb
> >
> >ctlr
> >	0xC0039="CL-GD546x Laguna PCI VGA BIOS Version 1.71D" # ZT5550 SBC
> >	0xC0039="CL-GD546x Laguna PCI VGA BIOS Version 1.61a" # HP Kayak
> >	link=vga
> >	ctlr=clgd546x linear=1
> >	hwgc=clgd546xhwgc
>

> Hmm I just checked in /lib/vgadb and the lines suggested by jmk to put in
> are contained on lines 180-185. I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of
> is that the bios lines are specific to the respective computers at the end
> of the line.

I think he suggested that you add *your* info to that section, not that you
add that section itself.  Examine the BIOS dump and look for a similar
identifying string.  Find the offset that string starts at, and use `ed' to
add

0x<offset>="<identifying string>"

after the ctlr line of the above section.  Hopefully, the kernel already has a
working video driver for your card, but it needs to know which driver to use
for your card.

man vgadb | p

for more info.