* Re: [9fans] pwd
@ 2001-08-17 16:47 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-08-17 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's worth noting that although the user isn't authenticated, in the sense
of checking a password (though you could add it if need be, i suppose),
disk/kfs does still check permissions against the user name
and associated groups, reducing the scope for accidents.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1865 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] pwd
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:04:10 -0400 (EDT)

In article <cej-1010816162318.A01284@cejchan.gli.cas.cz> you write:
>Hmm... sounds like there is no way how to authenticate a user on a singlr
>plan9 machine, am I right?

Yup, that's basically it.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] pwd
@ 2001-08-17 17:59 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-08-17 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010817164416.DF40C199E9@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>it's worth noting that although the user isn't authenticated, in the sense
>of checking a password (though you could add it if need be, i suppose),
>disk/kfs does still check permissions against the user name
>and associated groups, reducing the scope for accidents.

True!  But in the same vein, one can counter that by doing,
``disk/kfscmd allow''

However, as you point out, that's not the default, and the default rules
do prevent quite a bit of accidental migraines.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] pwd
@ 2001-08-17 16:04         ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-08-17 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <cej-1010816162318.A01284@cejchan.gli.cas.cz> you write:
>Hmm... sounds like there is no way how to authenticate a user on a singlr
>plan9 machine, am I right?

Yup, that's basically it.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] pwd
@ 2001-08-16 14:23       ` pac
From: pac @ 2001-08-16 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-08-16  1:05 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-08-16  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>[in 2nd edition, to select self as auth server] one of 0.1.0.0 or 0.0.1.0 or whatever or how to make it work.

it needed to be non-zero or panic ensued.   with the current system,
i set auth=cpu-server-name and it doesn't need to time out
(the listeners not having been started, the connection is reset immediately).
i don't think i did anything special to cpurc to do that.

* Re: [9fans] pwd
@ 2001-08-15 17:55         ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-08-15 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010815184409.H29491@cackle.proxima.alt.za> you write:
>This does baffle me.  I'm sure 2ed had the option to tell the
>AUTH server (CPU server, to be exact) that there it was
>authoritative, without waiting for a timeout.  But I could
>never figure out if it was 0.0.0.0 (which caused a panic) or
>one of 0.1.0.0 or 0.0.1.0 or whatever or how to make it work.

Hmm, I'm not sure; I never really used 2nd ed because at the time,
I couldn't afford it, and when I could afford it, it wasn't available
anymore.  c'est la vie.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] pwd
@ 2001-08-15 16:44       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-08-15 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:33:59PM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:

> CPU servers get around this by either not asking for a password at all
> and having a local KFS file system (started by the kernel) off of which
> they'll start the auth server, or, if talking to a file server, by
> timing out and saying, ``okay, I'll use the key that's in my nvram to
> authenticate myself to the file server....'' (the file server also
> knows it's own key, so that's okay) and then starting up the auth
> server.

This does baffle me.  I'm sure 2ed had the option to tell the
AUTH server (CPU server, to be exact) that there it was
authoritative, without waiting for a timeout.  But I could
never figure out if it was 0.0.0.0 (which caused a panic) or
one of 0.1.0.0 or 0.0.1.0 or whatever or how to make it work.

Pity, because I'm sure I had it all working (2ed, that was)
until I lost the NVRAM and now I have to press enter for each
IP detail _and_ wait for the timeout and I have no idea how to
put that Humpty-Dumpty together again.

++L

* Re: [9fans] pwd
@ 2001-08-15 16:33     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-08-15 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-08-15 14:31   ` pac
From: pac @ 2001-08-15 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> In article <cej-1010814134008.A02245@cejchan.gli.cas.cz> you write:
>> >running passwd on a standalone box I got:
>> >
>> >term% passwd
>> >passwd: protocol botch: cs: can't translate address(net!$auth!ticket)
>> >
>> >I tried to rtfmanpage (cs) and played with ndb/csquery,
>> >but the only thing that cs resolves is net!cejchan!9fs
>>
>> Is the machine configured as a standalone _terminal_ as opposed
>> to a CPU server?  If so, don't worry about it; there's no real
>> point in changing one's password since you're not running the
>> authentication services.
>>
>> 	- Dan C.

It is a single machine running plan9 in the whole LAN; thus it should serve everything: cpu, file, auth ...
Do I have to configure auth services manually?

Thanks, regards, Peter.

--
Peter A Cejchan
biologist

* Re: [9fans] pwd
@ 2001-08-15 14:26 ` pac
From: pac @ 2001-08-15 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Have a look at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/9 to
>> see how names like net!$auth!ticket get translated.
>>
>> Russ

I've read this page several times even before, however, I can't find there any stuff related to cs:
it's all about ndb. Am I missing  something?

Regards, Peter.
--

@ 2001-08-14 16:22 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-08-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-08-14 14:48 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-08-14 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <cej-1010814134008.A02245@cejchan.gli.cas.cz> you write:
>running passwd on a standalone box I got:
>
>term% passwd
>passwd: protocol botch: cs: can't translate address(net!$auth!ticket)
>
>I tried to rtfmanpage (cs) and played with ndb/csquery,
>but the only thing that cs resolves is net!cejchan!9fs

Is the machine configured as a standalone _terminal_ as opposed
to a CPU server?  If so, don't worry about it; there's no real
point in changing one's password since you're not running the
authentication services.

	- Dan C.

* [9fans] pwd
@ 2001-08-14 11:40 pac